graphics card upgrade

troika 17:16 11 Nov 2003

i currently have an athlon 17ooxp with windows xp and 256 ram with an nvidia geforce 2 mx graphics card

i am considering a modest upgrade to an nvidia xfx 5200 fx 128 mb

is this s worthwhile upgrade and is there any difference between an nvidia and a 128mb gainward fx powerpack pro/660 (fx5200)?

ps. i have a wife and kids and cannot justify spending £300 on a card!

the major benefit will come playing games so you can justify as a treat for the kids, moving from an mx2 to the fx5200 should produce a noticable improvement, study all the reviews you can find on this site and others to accertain which card will be the best, perhaps the most important consideration and one of the greatest effects on price is dual monitor support ,do you need it?

citadel 18:45 11 Nov 2003

the card is ok and if you also added 256 system ram it would help in playing games and speeding up the whole computer.

FEISAR 19:18 11 Nov 2003

A good graphics card needn't cost more than £60 - £70. Only buy a £100 - £300 if you are intending to run your games a massive screen resolutions eg above 1280 x 768. Most graphics cards exceed your monitor resolutions anyway. So why pay for something that you cant use. Or if you can then everything is so small you cant see it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?