Graphics card update

Verbose 20:38 09 Oct 2009

Hi,
I currently have an NVidia GeForce MX/MX400 graphics card installed. It is an AGP 4x with 64mb. I do a lot of photo editing and download stuff from BBC Iplayer.Would I notice any real differences if I upgraded the graphics to 256mb, which is the most powerful card I have seen for an AGP 4X slot?
I am running XP with 1.5 mb of ram.Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

rdave13 20:44 09 Oct 2009

Just googled and found this; click here
It's a different manufacturer so you'll need to uninstall the Nvidea drivers.
Wait until someone with more knowlege than me on GPU' can confirm it's as good a card for the price. AGP 4X/8X bus interface

Stuartli 23:05 09 Oct 2009

It's actually a different chipset i.e ATi rather than nVidia; graphics card manufacturers vary their use of such chipsets.

But, of course, you will need to use ATi drivers and software (ATi Tray Tools is a fraction of the size of the ATi Catalyst software).

I use the ATi driver with ATi Tray Tools with my Radeon graphics card.

Stuartli 23:07 09 Oct 2009

I use to have an MX400 graphics card - it was at least eight or nine years ago and brand new at the time.

So it's a long way behind today's offerings.

Devil Fish 23:29 09 Oct 2009

just had a look round and rdave13's suggestion is the best i can come across at the moment it will certainly make your exsisting card look somewhat inadequite

nvidia themselves largly ditched agp with the advent of the 8000 series but if you can track one down the 7600gt was a beast of a card which they did in pci-e and agp flavours

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?