graphics card update

Iceman30 12:10 11 Feb 2007

Hi all!
I am looking to upgrade my PC's graphics card.
I currently have a Geforce FX5200 256mb
I have seen a Geforce 7200GT on the Novatech web site.
Can I use this one with my PC? what do I have to look for/consider when buying an upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

bennyhillslovechild 12:21 11 Feb 2007

Yeah, that should work if you meant this one
click here

As long as it's an agp card, it should be okay. Some graphics cards take a extra power connector, so make sure you have a spare molex connector if you need it. And remember to remove the old graphics drivers before putting the new card in!

Iceman30 18:15 11 Feb 2007

thanks for the response, sorry for being a bit dense, but what are molex connectors? and how can I tell if my current card is AGP?

thanks
again

Totally-braindead 19:38 11 Feb 2007

It is AGP the 5200 as far as I know was only available on AGP. To check either look at your manual ot look inside at the board, the graphics card slot will be brown in colour thats AGP.
I couldn't find a 7200 on the Novatech site.
The molex connector is the power connector that supplies power to your hard drives and your CD ROMS.
If it is the 7600GT you saw then you will definatly need to use a molex connector to provide more power to the card.
Before you go any further check what your power supply in your PC is rated at in watts, there will be a label on it as any power supplies cannot cope and you might need a new power supply as well. Check what the power supply is first.

terryf 15:42 12 Feb 2007

When you upgrade you psu go for a big upgrade, I had problems when I fitted a new graphics card that didn't seem to have a cause, cured by putting in one of these click here and I can't hear the fan.

terryf 15:42 12 Feb 2007

Sorry, should have been 'your psu'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?