Graphics card power supply

Alf58 15:07 14 Feb 2007

I've just installed a Crucial Radeon X1300 Graphics card. On the Crucial web site it suggests my computers power supply should be 350Watts or better. My machine's power supply is 250Watts. Thus far, all seems to be ok. What signs should I look for that would indicate shortage of power?

System info: Pentium4:2.8ghz, 1248 mbs RAM, 15" CRT monitor, DVD drive and DVD RW/CDRW combo drive.

Totally-braindead 15:15 14 Feb 2007

Blue screens, unexplained shutdowns, general crashes which may cause other problems such as windows corruption due to faulty shutdown.
If you use something which uses a lot of graphics power it will become more common such as playing a game.

If it is working at the moment then its probably having to run full belt and it will fail. I would see about a power supply now before something else goes wrong.

Alf58 09:48 15 Feb 2007

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll pop down to PC World a see about a new PSU.

keef66 10:09 15 Feb 2007

I'd siggest if it's working, don't fix it.

If however you are hankering to fiddle with your innards, the psu is a simple thing to replace.

Just don't be tempted by anything which is suspiciously cheap (or light). Go for a 400w supply and expect to pay £50 or so online. No idea what a decent psu costs in pcw

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?