Graphics card overheating?

Woolwell 17:13 18 Mar 2010

Desktop computer - Vista Home Premium, Quad core Q6600, 4 Gb RAM, NVidia 9500GT.
The system began to lock up and lose graphics. I have cleaned the interior removing just over a year's dust from the CPU, PSU and graphics fans.
The system will boot ok and run for approx 45 mins before freezing, it will run ok after a restart for a while then freezes again. After another restart it then doesn't produce any output to the monitor. The monitor is ok (works fine with another PC) and the cables are ok.
Is it possible that the graphics card is overheating/has been overheated and that when running for a while it is failing? How can I check the temp of the graphics card? Don't have a spare card to swop with.

jimv7 17:32 18 Mar 2010

Is this any help click here

Woolwell 17:37 18 Mar 2010

It's old drivers. So that isn't the problem. At the moment I cannot access anything on it as there is no display at all, not ven during the boot process.

Woolwell 18:17 18 Mar 2010

I'm going to have to abandon this one for the time being. I cannot get access to it and cannot get safe mode (no display to see if I got there). I'm going to take it in and have the PSU and graphics card checked (I don't have spares at home). I think the graphics card has failed/is failing.

jimv7 18:21 18 Mar 2010

Try removing it, clean the contacts and replace it.

Woolwell 18:33 18 Mar 2010

I letting it have a big cool down and then see if it works. I think it is a heat related problem.

Woolwell 14:38 23 Mar 2010

Took it in for testing on workbench as problem kept occurring after 1 to 2 hours running. Problem found on motherboard which will be replaced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?