graphics card or more ram

whatsupdoc 20:51 18 Mar 2007

i have 64mb of onboard graphics and 2* 256mb ddr3200 ram. what should i get to make the machine faster. is it ok to put in 1 new memory chip of 1gb and leave one 256mb in. i like to play simcity four and the 64 mb graphic onboard is very slow. ive checked in the machine and i have an empty agp slot and 3 empty pci slots. so do i go for a agp card or a pci card and do i have to disable the onboard graphics in some way.

thanks annie

De Marcus™ 21:00 18 Mar 2007

An agp card is what you need.

woodchip 21:00 18 Mar 2007

Nether will make the computer faster. But if you run Video Editing it will complete the edit faster. If you want it for games then get a good Graphics card that will fit your board. it will then run smoother and should not be jerky. If you want your computer to be faster you need a MOBO,CPU upgrade

freaky 21:13 18 Mar 2007

Firstly, if you have an AGP free slot then you will need to buy a AGP Graphics Card.

Once you have fitted the card, then you need to disable the onboard graphics.

To speed up your PC then your 512mb of ram is too small, suggest you get 2 x 512mb ram. Go to the Crucial website, download their Active X control...this will run a test and advise which type of Ram you need and tell you the cost.

Once you have done this, then your PC will run faster and your games will run OK.....dependent of course on what CPU you have.

Hope this helps.

hzhzhzhz 21:17 18 Mar 2007

1gb of memory and a half decent graphics card will make all the difference especially as the cities grow larger. I dont know if your mobo would support a 1gb and a 256mb of memory. I'm sure someone can recommend a good graphics card for not too many pounds.

De Marcus™ 21:18 18 Mar 2007

"Neither will make the computer faster"?

I think it will, whatsupdoc states he wishes to play sim city 4, he has adequate ram and a poor onboard graphics solution, an agp card will make all the difference.

Another point, video editing is cpu intensive, graphics cards play no part in home video editing.

Mobo/CPU upgrade, nail on the head there woodchip, whilst we don't know what whatsupdoc has at present, simcity 4 isn't demanding in any sense of the word, perhaps it's time for an upgrade in it's entirety.

whatsupdoc 21:19 18 Mar 2007

the cpu is a amd 2ghz. is it better ti install memory in same size pairs or can i add one large memory chip and keep the 256 mb one in aswell. i just downloaded aida32 which told me the memory speed and processor type.

whatsupdoc 21:23 18 Mar 2007

aida32 says max agp size is 128mb and 8*speed.c so i presume i need a 128 mb card

De Marcus™ 21:27 18 Mar 2007

If that's what aida32 is saying then go with it, it's not worth splashing out on a top of the range card for your machine, don't spend more than £50-£70 squid absolute tops, your system and consequently your wallet won't appreciate it.

whatsupdoc 21:32 18 Mar 2007

shall i get a video card first and see if i need more memory after or just get memory now aswell

thanks for your help to every one

annie

hzhzhzhz 21:40 18 Mar 2007

"shall i get a video card first and see if i need more memory after"

I would say yes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?