Graphics card mysteriously died in the loft

Ian in Northampton 16:29 01 Jan 2014

Second question... So while I decide what to do about son's current PC, I've reinstalled his previous one. As far as both of us recall, it was working when it was put in the loft. However, now, I can get nothing out of the GTX510 (or GTX520) graphics card. It works fine off the onboard VGA port, but nothing out of either of the DVI ports on the GTX. Any idea why? The only thing I can think of is there's an option in the BIOS I need to change to get the PC to 'look at' the GTX board and not the onboard graphics - but it seems strange that this option appears to have reset itself in the BIOS while the machine was in the loft. There's no reference to the GTX in Device Manager, btw. Anyone have any thoughts?

Graphicool1 16:43 01 Jan 2014

Could it be that the onboard battery need changing?

wee eddie 16:45 01 Jan 2014

Damp!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 01 Jan 2014

Cold

remove and refit card to make sure it is fully inserted in the slot / does this card need a power connection from the PSU?

Not having a good day?

Ian in Northampton 20:40 01 Jan 2014

Thanks guys - all good thoughts, which I will investigate further.

Fruit Bat /\0/\: you got it in one... :-( In fact, a bad few days, as daughter's PC fell over the day before yesterday. Thank goodness for a loft full of spare PCs. Some of which work...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?