Graphics Card Issues.

capco 20:59 26 May 2009

Hi there.

Recently, I have been having some type of computer issue. It began 2 weeks ago, when my monitor didnt't wake up along with my computer. After moving the mouse to get out of hibernate or whatever, the monitor stayed black. Not knowing what to do, I took it to a local repair shop. The guy hooked his monitor up to my computer through the graphics card slot, and the same thing happened. He then hooked it up to the onboard graphics unit, and it worked. His conclusion was a faulty graphics card, and he recommended I pick up a new one.

So, I ordered a new grapgics card, which just came in the mail today. I hooked up the new graphics card, and voila: the monitor reads "No Signal." Great. So now I have a new useless piece of hardware.

There is also a previous issue that may be relevant. About 9 months ago, the exact same issue happened. Thinking it was the monitor, I purchased a new one, and somehow it fixed the problem. This reinforced the issue stemming from a faulty monitor. However, my aunt took our old monitor and she says it works fine!

Any suggestions? Could it be the PCI express slot, or maybe a software/virus issue? I have no clue.

capco 22:10 26 May 2009

Bump and some more info.

I spent a considerable amount of time in the search facility reading articles. However, none of them seem to show all of my symptoms. Sorry if this has already been posted :(

I would like to add that I have been using the computer with the onboard graphics unit for a little over a week with no problems, other than the computer sometimes requiring a manual restart (holding the power button) because of not coming out of hibernate. It has been running ok without a graphics cad, but I really don't want to use this onboard forever, and I would like to ride this computer out as long as possible.

Some specs off-hand:
HP Pavillion m7790e
AMD X2 Dual Core +5000 ~2.6 GHz
2Gb RAM
GPU's:
Geforce 6150 LE (onboard)
Gefore 7600 GT 256mb RAM (factory installed)
Geforce 9500 GT 512mb DDR3 (brand new)
Power Supply: 350 Watts

capco 22:15 26 May 2009

Sorry, one more thing.

I have already tried the monitor on another computer (my laptop) and it worked fine.

lpen1 22:50 26 May 2009

Have you made sure that the onboard graphics have been turn off in the computers bios.

phono 22:55 26 May 2009

Check as lpen1 has recommended, you may initially have to hook your monitor up to the onboard graphics in order to see the POST screen and enable you to access the BIOS to do so.

capco 23:03 26 May 2009

I haven't yet. Now that I think about it the tech guy did change something in the BIOS. But how would I go about doing this? Is it under Advanced in BIOS? The only thing I see in that menu that might be related is Onboard 1394.

And what order would I want to do this? plug in the onboard (which uses an analogue cord), go to BIOS and make the appropriate change, exit, shut after windows startup, plug in dvi from card to monitor, and start it back up, and it should work? or something else?

capco 23:18 26 May 2009

Ok, after looking around a little bit I see that the Primary Video Adapter (I think that's what it was called) was set to "PCI". I went into this menu and there were three options: PCI, PCI-E, and onboard. Even though it wasn't set on onboard, the onboard was still functioning.

After changing it to PCI-E, I saved and exited BIOS and the computer went to the windows startup. I shut it down through the start menu, started it back up, and switchted the monitor from RGB to DVI. And I'm still getting no signal. I am sure the graphics card is firmly in place.

If I plug in the analogue cable from the onboard slot to the RGB reciever in the computer, the onboard is still working, even after the BIOS change.

phono 23:36 26 May 2009

When you say "I shut it down through the start menu, started it back up, and switchted the monitor from RGB to DVI."

How/where did you switch from RGB to DVI? Was this on the monitor itself? If you leave the monitor on RGB will it display from the video card as well as the on board graphics?

phono 23:39 26 May 2009

Forgot to ask, is the monitor lead a captive lead or can it be disconnected from the monitor? If it is removable have you had the lead checked?

Also, what is the make and model of your monitor?

capco 23:59 26 May 2009

The monitor is a Soyo Pearl Series 20" LCD. It has two detachable slots (I'm guessing that's what you mean by captive/removable leads). 1 for DVI, one for RGB.

Onboard uses RGB, card uses DVI.

The original setup consisted of using an adapter for DVI-to-RGB, that went from the DVI output from the 7600 GT to the RGB reciever slot in the monitor. I've never used the DVI before. I just bought a DVI cord today as well, because i thought that might have been the reason as well, but that didn't work either.

capco 00:21 27 May 2009

Sorry. I didn't even see your first post at 23:36, phono. The switch is on the the monitor. It has two modes, DVI and RGB (or is that wrong and is it RBG, I can't remember lol).

And no matter what I seem to do, nothing seems to get any signal from the graphics card. The monitor will say "No Input Signal" on the DVI mode if there is a cord connected, and "Disconnected" if there is no cord connected. So I don't think it's the lead. Again, I'm not aware of the terminology, if that's what you mean by the slot thingy, as I call it :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?