graphics card installation

colinb 19:45 13 Jan 2003
  colinb 19:45 13 Jan 2003

I have a Packard Bell Club 70h computer with Intel Celeron processor,MMX, 466MHz and intergrated graphics. I bought a Pine 32Mb graphics card XP-PC12800 but when i inserted it in a free white slot I got a blank screen. [I do not know the make of my mobo but it has GA-6WMM7 printed on it.]
This is an identical problem [with a similar machine] to one that Strawballs experienced last April, it was resolved when a friend found a jumper on the mobo to switch to PCI. MY question is what does the jumper look like?, where is it situated on the mobo, how does one operate it.
Does one then get a picture which then can be adjusted by loading the CD which comes with the graphics card and following the on screen prompts. Any help will be gratefully received or does anyone know strawballs e-mail so i can ask him directly. ColinB

PSF 20:06 13 Jan 2003

click here

Try this for the address you are after.

PSF 21:50 13 Jan 2003

click here

Have a look at this pdf, it is tha manual for your motherboard. You will be able to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS.

PSF 21:52 13 Jan 2003

click here

Have a look at this pdf, it is tha manual for your motherboard. You will be able to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS.

rev.bem 22:46 13 Jan 2003

this might sound obvious bur have you plugged your monitor in to your new graphics card?

colinb 10:42 16 Jan 2003

Contacted mobo maker, Gigabyte-no jumper on board-
Got into CMOS set up ,have dilemma in plug and play section. What should be the settings for
Plug & play aware o/s, [yes/no]
Primary graphics adapter, [add on VGA/on boardVGA]
PCI VGA palette snoop, [enable/disable]
Clear NVRAM, [no/yes]
I've tried a few settings but still get a blank screen. Any ideas?
mobo type GA-6WMM7 colinb

colinb 21:36 03 Apr 2003

A Radeon 7000 graphics card when installed in a PCI slot gives a blank screen on my monitor. yet a 2mb card was recognised by windows 98 and installed through on screen prompts.[no installation CD needed.] Does anybody know why a 'posh' card [with instal' CD] is not suitable for my computer. Also why when perusing the installation CD did it interfere with both my mouse & modem? This is a follow up to the request I posted in Jan!

colinb 21:36 03 Apr 2003

A Radeon 7000 graphics card when installed in a PCI slot gives a blank screen on my monitor. yet a 2mb card was recognised by windows 98 and installed through on screen prompts.[no installation CD needed.] Does anybody know why a 'posh' card [with instal' CD] is not suitable for my computer. Also why when perusing the installation CD did it interfere with both my mouse & modem? This is a follow up to the request I posted in Jan!

hugh-265156 23:01 03 Apr 2003

go back and start again.computer off remove new card.plug monitor into onboard graphics out turn on go to device manager ond or add remove programs click on display adapters or similar shut down computer.insert new card plug monitor into new card and turn on then install the drivers.just noticed you mention agp above is it agp or pci card?

hugh-265156 23:08 03 Apr 2003

ment to say in device manager or add remove progs uninstall old graphics driver.can read and type :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?