Graphics card information

23790954 18:12 18 May 2006

As I stated on a recent previous request, I have just changed my system from a midi tower to a worldtop desktop case, which I like very much, due to it being less bulky. However since I changed to the desktop case, my system does not reboot fully after installing programmes etc.
As 300W power supply is the strongest you can purchase for this case, I called the store where I purchased the case. Their technician said that installing a more compatable Graphics card would solve my problem, as it would reduce the power the graphics card is taking from the system. The graphics card I have installed is an ATI Radeon 9550. Can anyone put any light on this matter, and recommend a graphics card which would solve the problem. My system consists of an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 motherboard;
AMD Athlon 2600+; over 1 gig of pc 3200 ddr
memory; and runs both DVD rom and DVD writer.
Many thanks for any help given.

Gongoozler 19:50 18 May 2006

Run your system spec through this wattage calculator and see where the power is going click here

Gongoozler 19:53 18 May 2006

You say that a 300W supply is the most powerful you can get for your case. Does that mean that the PSU is not standard ATX dimensions?

Totally-braindead 20:55 18 May 2006

I think the person who told you this is telling you a load of rubbish. If the ATI Radeon 9550 does not have a seperate power connector and gets all its power from the AGP slot, which I think it does. I cannot see how swapping the graphics card can posssibly make any difference. The difference between cards would be perhaps 5 watts maybe as high as 10 watts, if your PC is as borderline as this on power then this will not help. Even if it does have a seperate power connector the difference is still only likely to be say another 10 to 15 watts.

Disconnecting one of your optical drives will save you perhaps 20 - 25 watts, disconnect one of them first and see if it makes any difference .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?