Graphics card help

robbo1987 10:41 01 Jan 2010

Hi guys,
just installed an Asus 6200LE 256MB pci-e card on a friends computer because they needed something that could connect to the tv...

so, its all installed and updated drivers etc but on dual view mode through an s-video lead the tv just shows a black screen, when the pc boots it shows the loading screens on both the tv and monitor so i know it must be set up correctly. but no matter how many different settings i try it just appears black, it flickers a little bit if i attempt to click and drag a window onto the tv but thats it. ive tried changing the pal settings and im pretty much at a loose end as for what to try next?

howard64 11:41 01 Jan 2010

it could be the resolution you have your monitor set to. The tv may not be able to show it. Right click a blank area on the monitor then properties then settings and adjust the slider to different screen sizes.

Graphicool1 18:29 01 Jan 2010
  GaT7 18:38 01 Jan 2010

howard64 could be right I think. Start with the lowest possible resolution - usually 800*600 - & work your way up.

If the TV is a LCD/TFT, it'll have the best picture & text quality when set at its native resolution. G

robbo1987 18:40 01 Jan 2010

ahh ok thanks for the info i will give it a try, i think i did try a lower resolution but i cant remember. and it is a lcd tv, quite a large one aswell.

GaT7 18:59 01 Jan 2010

Move the resolution slider to the extreme left in Display Properties - this will be the lowest.

Only then connect/switch-on the TV.

If it works, increase it to its native resolution (provide TV make & model if you need help with this). G

robbo1987 09:56 03 Jan 2010

Ive tried with the lowest resolution, there are only 2 resolutions available anyway, one being 800-600 and the next 1024 by 768, both of these dont work, the output hz is 60, this is the only one available in the nvidia control panel. however if i attempt to drag a screen onto the tv the flickering is when its on 800-600

i will try however waiting to turn the tv on etc later, im not sure of the tv make and model at the moment but i will find out when i attempt to sort it again later.

thanks for the advice

GaT7 16:53 03 Jan 2010

Let us know the make & model of the TV, & what cable you're using exactly to connect the two - a link to the latter may be useful. G

robbo1987 17:00 03 Jan 2010

ok i am using a belkin s video lead which was £20 from a comet store, it also comes with a scart adapter and audio cable...

i also tried using the s-video via the scart adapter with the same results, but at the moment its going directly into the s-video port on the tv

the tv is a 40 or 42 inch tv and the make is ONN?

this is what my friend says it is anyway i didnt take note whilst i was there yesterday. hope this is enough info, i know the make isnt exacltly clear but when i go again ill check to make sure.

GaT7 17:20 03 Jan 2010

Thanks for that. It should work with the cables &/or scart adapter you're using. In the past I've successfully connected a CRT TV using a scart adapter, s-video cable & RCA-jack cable (for sound).

Can you possibly try connecting the PC to another TV?

I was hoping it would be a better known brand so I could check for related info on the manufacturer's website. The only info I could find about Onn is that apparently a German company makes them click here. G

robbo1987 17:27 03 Jan 2010

yeah ive succesfully done the same in the past, and on the setup i have on this machine with a nvidia card i have no problems whatsoever so i just dont get whats going on. i think they may have another tv in the house i can test on, i also have an spare/old graphics card with an s video output which i will try aswell to rule out any hardware issue's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?