Graphics Card Help

Daz1981 15:01 22 Jan 2005

Hi
Am thinking about upgrading my graphics card as i have recently purchased Doom 3 and although it runs ok its not great. PC specs are AMD athlon XP 2600, 736mb Ram. the current graphics card is NVIDIA GEforce intergrated GPU (i think).
The questions i would like advice on are how do i find out for sure what graphics card i'm currently running and also what power source i have as after reading through these forums i understand the newer cards require a high ammount of power. also any recommendations on which card to by would be great.

Thanks very Much
D

ACOLYTE 15:20 22 Jan 2005

click here download this install it and it should tell you what you need to know.

As for the card that is a personal thing,lol the best you can afford is all i can offer.

ACOLYTE 15:21 22 Jan 2005

click here

was the link but you can get there by clicking free dlaod in my firt post

Gongoozler 15:33 22 Jan 2005

The only way to find what power supply you have is to look on the label on the PSU itself. This utility helps you estimate what you need, but it's always a good idea to add an extra 100W for future upgrades, especially if you get one of the cheaper supplies which tend to be optimistically rated click here.

Starfox 18:31 22 Jan 2005

Click on Start + Run and type dxdiag into the box and click OK. In the box that appears click on Display ( at the top of the panel ) and your graphics details will be displayed.

Look here for some choices for a new card click here but don't bother with the MX cards as they are reaching the end of their usefullives.

Daz1981 19:19 22 Jan 2005

Thanks for all your help
the current graphics card im using turns out to be
NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU 32MB

which doen't really mean much to me other than its a NVIDIA card and am guessing its pretty poor since it came already in the PC and its about 2 years old,
I know this next question has been asked a million times and its each to there own but iam going to ask it anyway what would you guys suggest as a replacement card for me i'm willing to spend £100 also do you know of any good suppliers i normally use either DAB's or Ebuyer?

again thanks for all your advice

Starfox 19:25 22 Jan 2005

Any of these should be fine.click here

click here

EdFrench 19:29 22 Jan 2005

£100.00 , will get you a decent card - unless you are a serious gamer (Competition).
Try click here
3 day delivery and top kit.
Anything in the Radeon or Gforce range at your budget will be fine.
256 vram is preferable but 128 would probably be ok.
You need to know if your interface is AGP or PCI
before you buy...they expect you to know, so don't complain afterwards.

EdFrench 19:31 22 Jan 2005

Looking back on the spec you supplied for your machine I would think that it has an AGP slot in there.

citadel 20:13 22 Jan 2005

a gforce 6600, or 6600gt if you can spend a bit more is the best mid range card.

Gordongopher 01:29 24 Jan 2005

Definate... Gforce6600GT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?