Graphics card description.

Shoshona 12:18 07 Sep 2006

I just paid for a pc which was listed as having an nVidis 7300TC 512MB turbocharged card. When the pc arrived it said on the little label attached to the graphics card 256MB. The vendor told me the following:"They call it a 512MB card because it has 256MB on-board and uses, or can use if needed, 256MB of the systems own memory, this is what they call Turbocache. The card itself is supplied as and sold as a 7300TC 512MB."
I am now wondering if this is actually true or is the vendor spinning a tale to cover having put in the wrong graphics card? I assumed when I bought the pc that an nVidis 7300TC 512MB turbocharged card meant a graphics card with 512MB, full stop. Can anyone advice me if I should accept the vendors explanation or should I press on to get the graphics card I thought I was buying? HELP please

anskyber 12:21 07 Sep 2006

Looks like they could be right. click here

anskyber 12:23 07 Sep 2006

Use this click here it will tell you which card is installed

DieSse 14:32 07 Sep 2006

I think they are only partially correct - and it really boils down to the exact way it was described when you bought it.

You said "turbocharged" - this description is incorrect, and you could quite rightly complain if this was what they said.

TurboCache is the correct description. With TC the cards have the ability to use up to 512MB memory - some of this may be on the motherboard. This applies to cards with 128MB fitted or 256MB fitted. It should be made clear how much is actually fitted on the card itself.

So a "correct" description would be nvidia 7300 TC 512MB Turbocache - 256MB fitted. Or words to that effect.

See this specification for a similar card with 128MB fitted as an example click here

Shoshona 15:07 07 Sep 2006

Thank you so much, your answers have helped me a lot. The problem was in the wording or description of the card. It is not easy to keep up with every new addition to computer technology. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?