Graphics Card DDR Compatibility Question

Lerm 19:39 11 Mar 2007

I am slightly confused about compatibility in looking for a replacement graphics card. The memory on my computer is DDR (old, I know) on my AGP motherboard so I am looking for either a Radeon 9800 or a Geforce 5900 Ultra, which have onboard DDR memory.

If I look at higher end AGP cards, later series, do they have to have DDR memory to be compatible with my set-up, or doesn't it matter? The higher end Nvidia AGP cards, for example, are DDR2 or 3.

Totally-braindead 19:44 11 Mar 2007

It doesn't matter. As long as you get an AGP card it makes no difference to you what sort of memory it has they will all work.
What it does make a difference to is the speed the card can process the graphics. The faster graphics cards should use the faster memory so that they can run faster.
But they will all work.

You might need a better power supply though depending on what you get.

Lerm 20:02 11 Mar 2007

Thanks for that TBD. Now I beginning to understand the concept of 'bottlenecking' with graphics cards after what you have just told me!

I'm pushing my old system to the maximum now and I wonder if it is worth getting anything beyond those two cards I have mentioned. I have yet to get hold of a Barton core AMD processor (my motherboard is an ASUSTek A7V33, so no 64Bit processors for me) to maximize my CPU power, as it is!

Totally-braindead 12:27 13 Mar 2007

Lerm the best value for money in my opinion is to have a balanced set of components. To try to avoid the bottleneck you want everything working together.
If for example you have a 1.5 ghz processor with plenty of RAM and you then spend £300 on a graphics card its a complete waste of money. The processor would be the bottleneck and you would get the same performance with a graphics card less than a third of the price as the expensive card wouldn't be able to work at its true speed as the processor would slow it down.
Its like putting a Ferrari engine in a Hillman Imp, the engine might be capable of 200 mph plus but the gearbox and running gear of the car is incapable of running at that speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?