Graphics Card are they different?

tooter 18:24 27 Feb 2005

I have decided to upgrade my Graphics Card to a Nvidia GeForce 6600GT AGP 128mb.
In searching for a retailer to purchase this card from I am confused by the many different makes of this card i.e. Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT, Gainward GeForce 6600GT, PNY GeForce 6600GT, Leadtek GeForce 6600GT, Sparkle GeForce 6600GT, XFX GeForce 6600GT and many more all at different prices. My question is what is the difference between these cards and why do they vary in price so much if they are the same card, finally which of these cards should I purchase. Thanks for any advice.

citadel 18:39 27 Feb 2005

it is probably the software bundle in each pack that makes the difference, some like msi include a lot software in with the card.

Totally-braindead 18:40 27 Feb 2005

It comes down to brand and quality, the more expensive ones tend to have a brand name which is well known and usually have better quality control and better quality components. The cards you list will be very similar otherwise.

Totally-braindead 18:47 27 Feb 2005

Should have also said some cards are better for overclocking, indeed some of them are designed to help you with this giving you better fans or bigger heatsinks better quality components can take more heat before failing and some cards even come with software to help you do this, I have no idea if any of these cards come into this category. The software bundle may also effect the price as citadel points out. I wouldn't buy a cheap graphics card, by that I mean non branded. Of the ones you mention the ones I'd look at would be the Gigabyte the Gainward the Leadtek and perhaps the XFX.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017