Graphics Card Advice Please

MercyLink 17:50 17 Dec 2004

Hi

I built a new PC about this time last year (Well november to be exact) and it has a GeForce FX59000 graphics card.

I dont know what to do and I was wondering if you could help me:

Do I:

1) Wait for PCIExpress boards to come out and buy one of those and a whole new PC so everything is faster.

2) Buy a graphics card now on AGP and stick with my existing PC.

I havent really noticed any slowdown in games performance with the newer titles but I cant help thinking that I could push the graphics a bit more.

What should I do? Any alternative suggestions welcome!

MercyLink 17:52 17 Dec 2004

Forgot to mention, my setup is:

-AMD Athlon XP 3000+
-1Gb DDR Ram (Configured in Dual Channel)
-2 SATA Hard Disks in a striped RAID.
-SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Sound Card.

howard60 17:55 17 Dec 2004

you do not say what memory your graphics card is? But your system specs most users would think to be pretty good. If it aint broke etc. I have an xp3000 setup with only 512MB ram and 128MB graphics and that is pretty good.

woody147 18:17 17 Dec 2004

you haven't really noticed any slowdown in performance with the latest games, and yet you're considering building a whole new PC for gaming purposes?!?!
No offence intended, but it does seem a bit like a 'keeping up with the Jones' type job, rather than something you really need - I agree with howard60 - if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Even if you spend £350 on a graphics card, there will still be somebody somewhere with a more powerful system :-)

Rayuk 18:18 17 Dec 2004

I would carry on with that system for while till the PCI Express motherboards have any faults ironed out always best to get 2nd version of new chipset motherboards.

MercyLink 11:40 19 Dec 2004

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to wait for PCI express.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?