Graphics Card 384

Longinus 16:54 04 Feb 2004

I was reading in last months mag about upgrading the graphics card.

My PC is about four years old and it's built around a P111 500 with 384mb of memory.

If I upgraded the graphics card from a Voodoo 3 to a Radeon 9200 would I be able to run some of the games that came out last year?

there is a chance that your MoBo will only support the higher voltage AGP1 cards in which case you cannot put this card in it. Even if it is a 2x or 4x slot (which will support the card)it will only run at the slower transfer rate so will struggle with the new games.
In any case the Processcor still has to do a lot of the work and yours just cant hack it. sorry to bear such bad tidings but it's just Moore's law.

Longinus 17:19 04 Feb 2004

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll have to save up for a new PC.

Longinus 15:13 05 Feb 2004

BTW:

Seeing how I will be in the market for a new PC,how much (roughly) will I have to fork-out for one that will run this years games and can anyone recommend a good company with a good reputation.

I've seen too many bad reports and feel I must tread carefully.

on what you want to spend...

You forget some companies though do have more happy customers that un happy, it is just very rarely are the good companies shouted about, only the bad press is ever taken notice of...

Just plan out how much money you have to spend and if you need things like monitor, key board and mouse or not...

Longinus 18:01 05 Feb 2004

Thanks for you reply.

I was wondering if there's a company out there that doesn't get as much flak as all the rest?

Also,I was thinking about spending £700 on a new PC.However,I would not need a new monitor.

keith-236785 18:37 05 Feb 2004

buy yourself a copy of Micromart, it is out every thursday, £1.80 and has plenty of suppliers of new and used pc's. it is available from WHSmiths and some newsagents/petrol stations, also available at Morrissons (huddersfield) branch.

only bad experience was aftersales with PlanetMicro, but that was only bad advice from the helpline (not all that unusual).

for less than £700 you should be able to walk into pc world and get a good pc.

your choice

good luck

Longinus 18:50 05 Feb 2004

Cheers,I'll have a look at Micromart.

RE: PC World.

I don't want to bother with them,my brother had BIG problems with his PC and it took PC World ages to sort out.

That's why I really want some good recommendations with regards to a good suppler,one that reliable and good after sales support in case things go wrong.

In this business there seems to be too many companies who'll take your money,but can't be bothered sorting out any problems without many phone calls and emails.I've heard too many horror stories and that's why I'm very cagey about taking the plunge.

keith-236785 10:24 08 Feb 2004

you could always take a chance and build your own pc.

then you will know what has gone into it, with integrated motherboards available now its quite easy to throw a system together in a short amount of time. If you intend to have a go, come back for some basic advice.

good luck with micromart

p.s. click here ,ccl computers on page 23 have some good deals. I have never had to take anything back to them so i dont know about aftersales service, but it is a small company which might serve you well.

one other supplier i have bought from (parts not full PC) is Eclipse Computers, click here. Very good service and quick delivery too. again, no reasons to return anything. maybe i have just been lucky.

Longinus 16:48 08 Feb 2004

paperman27:

Thanks for the links.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires