Graphics Card

feb 08:41 13 Nov 2007

Hi all,

I would like to fit a graphics card to a PC, it's fitted with this MB click here which has 1280MB pc3200 DDR SDRam, a 400w PSU and running XP Pro with a view to upgrading to Vista.

Any suggestions please!

Gamer555 08:55 13 Nov 2007

From what I can see, that mobo only has slots for AGP and PCI cards. (not PCI Express). This really restricts the number of cards available.

click here

click here

click here

Veiw the links above. These are the only cards that will fit your mobo.

If I was you, I would invest in a new mobo, with PCI Express slots. This will give you access to LOADS more graphics cards, which are much better than the AGP + PCI cards. Save up a bit and get a new board and a PCI Express card.

Oh, what do you use the PC for? Gaming?

feb 09:06 13 Nov 2007

Hi Gamer555

Thanks for that, your suggestion is another option along with a new PC, I'm trying to decide which would be best, upgrade and by how much, or replace.

Not that big on gaming, but any new operating system will require more graphics.

keef66 11:05 13 Nov 2007

You don't mention which cpu you have; I'm assuming it will be some kind of Pentium 4.
Have you run the Vista upgrade advisor?
Assuming the rest of the pc is up to spec and you don't want to play the latest games, I think you'll get away with an older, mid range AGP graphics card. Something like a 7600gs.

Bit of light reading here

click here

feb 14:13 13 Nov 2007

Thanks keef66, I'll have a read.

It has a Intel Celeron 2400MHz

I did run the Vista upgrade advisor and it said the graphics were not up to spec, which is what got me thinking about it.

donki 14:18 13 Nov 2007

IMO id get a new motherboard bundle (incs MB, CPU and RAM). Novatech do some great bundles. The celeron processor will struggle with Vista IMO, it will struggle even more running programs in Vista. Can i ask why such an odd amout of RAM?

Totally-braindead 14:25 13 Nov 2007

I'm with donki on this. The processor is not that great and any money spent on the PC you have now will be wasted in that any parts added will not be able to be used on the new machine.
It would run Vista if you did put in a graphics card but if 6 months down the line you decided to get a new PC any money spent on the graphics card would be wasted as your new PC will have PCI Express and not AGP which your present computer has.

keef66 14:26 13 Nov 2007

Hmmm, the 2.4 Celery might mean it would be a bit slow under Vista.

If you did decide on an upgrade bundle, I'd suggest Novatech's E6750 with 2gb ram

feb 14:38 13 Nov 2007

Hi donki

When the MB was fitted it had 2 sticks 256mb, I added a 1Gb stick and left one of the others in. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but I've had no problems, so I left it in.

feb 19:02 13 Nov 2007

Thanks for all your replies, it seems that an upgrade is going to be in the region of £300 to make it worth while, a little more than I was hoping for, but probably what I was expecting!

Out of interest, would a graphics card make any any kind of difference to my present system?

Totally-braindead 19:06 13 Nov 2007

Yes a graphics card would make a difference it would take some of the strain off the other components and would free up some memory. It depends what you want to do with your PC. I'm afraid with that processor the newer games are totally out the windows as its just not fast enough so theres no point spending a huge amount on a graphics card. Maybe £30-40.

I don't know how much of a boost you would get IE whether it would be really noticeable or not, it would be quicker but I'm unsure if you would really see the difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?