graphics card

fucmyname 01:20 13 Jan 2007

can someone please help me i have a desktop pc with a ati radeon xpress 200 graphics card and i want to know what kind of performance i will get out of it and what games i should be buying and avoiding.

jay.p 02:23 13 Jan 2007

need a bit more system info as gameplay not only relies on the graphics card but cpu speed and the amount of memory you have.a top spec card wont play many games with only 256mb of ram e.t.c.

jay.p 02:33 13 Jan 2007

as a thought if you have a decent amount of memory and a decent cpu your onboard graphics will run half life 2 , doom 3 and the like.but as it only supports shader 2 it will not run newer games like splinter cell double agent and rainbow 6 vegas as these require shader 3 cards.

archir123 09:18 13 Jan 2007

beg pardon? the radeon xpress isnt a graphics card mate its the chip on yuor mobo

jay.p 14:39 13 Jan 2007

same games still apply.

gudgulf 15:29 13 Jan 2007

click here

Overall system review including games with xpress 200 onboard graphics.

I've recently built a system for a friend with that chipset (and onboard graphics) and it will cope with most directx 8 games at decent settings

It also has hardware directx 9 support but performance is limited.........having said that I played the F.E.A.R. Extraction Point demo on it at 640x480 resolution/minimum detail settings.It ran and was playable.

Certainly not a gamers graphics option but quite capable nonetheless.

fucmyname 15:54 13 Jan 2007

Thanks for response jay.p here is a link to my pc spec,click here

fucmyname 15:56 13 Jan 2007

archir123 thanks for responding but i was asking for help not a sarcastic comment

fucmyname 16:22 13 Jan 2007

jay.p i have also upgraded my memory to 1024mb

fucmyname 16:26 13 Jan 2007

thanks for your response gudgulf could you tell me what kind of graphics card i could get 2 handle games like fear and quake 4 and will it work on my pc here is my pc spec click here

gudgulf 16:46 13 Jan 2007

I think you may be struggling if this (from the spec you link to)is correct:

"Expansion slots------3 PCI (3 free)"

You will need a PCI-express graphics slot available in order to upgrade to a separate card.

However according to this spec click here you DO have a PCI-e x16 slot.

You may need to have a peep inside the case to check.

How much do you want to spend?.......Quake 4 will run on what you have ok.FEAR on the other hand needs a lot more graphics horsepower to run at it's best settings.That doesn't come cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?