Graphics card

Franky Lemonhead 12:29 08 Dec 2003

My girlfriend’s dad has got my old PC, it has a 750Mhz AMD Duron processor, 256MB memory and a Hercules Prophet 4000XT 32MB PCI Graphics card installed, and is running Windows ME. The games he has started to look at have these as the minimum spec so when he tries to run them, the screen jumps all over the place or just crashes, even when he lowers the graphics settings on the game.

Can you tell me, would it improve the performance by a lot if he upgrades the graphics card to a higher spec?

Thank you

hugh-265156 13:40 08 Dec 2003

a newer buget card should improve the performance yes.the recommended mimimum specs printed on the games cover can be a bit deceiving.they usually are the bare minimum required just to install the game and get as far as the menu screen.if you actually want to play the game,higher specs will be usually be required.

before you spend any money on a new card though try updating the current graphics card drivers to the latest direct x9 compatable ones from click here then install direct x9 from click here

most new games will now require direct x9 and compatable drivers to be installed in order to run correctly,even though the hardware you have does not fully support it.

shutting down everything else running before playing the game may also improve the performance.as will adding some more ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?