Graphics and background colours

sugarbabe 20:38 02 Feb 2008

Hi i am in the process of designing new site but am finding that just using the colour picker for backgrounds makes sites look very unprofessional.

How do i get glossy background colours. I am using frontpage. Is there somewhere i can download from??

Kemistri 20:39 02 Feb 2008

Hmmm.... One word.

Whitespace.

sugarbabe 20:41 02 Feb 2008

can't have whole page of white space can i. want some colour around it

Kemistri 20:50 02 Feb 2008

Sounds like you want to read up about whitespace then....

sugarbabe 20:52 02 Feb 2008

ok send me a link please

CodeMeister 20:56 02 Feb 2008

You have to be careful when using certain colours and shades because diferent monitors and graphics cards etc will display them differently.

I suggest that you read up on Cascading Stylesheets and specifically the use of Hexadecimal values for colours.

The following link shows a palette of "web safe" colours together with their Hexadecimal values.

click here for details.

Kemistri 20:58 02 Feb 2008

Well, you could just use a search engine...

click here for an article about whitespace, picked from one of my favourite resources, which happens to make good use of whitespace.

click here for another website that uses good spacing without excessive use of colour, but without feeling colourless.

This is the kind of thing that you need to think about if you want to design professional websites.

Kemistri 21:00 02 Feb 2008

Oh, and don't take things too literally, of course - whitespace need not necessarily be white as long as the shade is right. Bright red won't cut it - very pale grey, such as what you see in front of you now, can work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?