graphics aperture size settings

Newuser339 14:39 26 Jan 2006

Hi
I have a g-force 6600 turbo force edition graphics card 256mg DDR (model GV-N66256DP)
On my bios the graphics aperture size is set to 128 - is this the right setting for this card?
If anyone can help you'll go straight to the top of my Xmas card list!
Thanks Telf

Gongoozler 14:42 26 Jan 2006

Read this click here

silverous 14:44 26 Jan 2006

..I suspect it has nothing to do with your graphics card and is to do with your built-in graphics adaptor? A lot of motherboards these days have built-in graphics, and then your graphics card (6600) is additional to that.

Mind you, this link (see below) seems to suggest the aperture controls how much main memory is used when your graphics card runs out. As you have a 256MB on your card I doubt you'll have an issue, so 128 should be fine.

click here

Gongoozler 14:45 26 Jan 2006

.... and this one says 128M is a good figure click here

Gongoozler 14:46 26 Jan 2006

silverous - Snap ;-))

Jdoki 16:46 26 Jan 2006

Over the years I've heard various tales of what the aperture should be - from the same as the total memory on the graphics card, to the more common one of half the total memory of the graphics card (so 128 should be fine for your card).

From a couple experiments I did a a while back it seems to have no performance benefit. However I have heard that people experiencing crashes in certain games/software have resolved the problem by changing the aperture.

Stuartli 19:16 26 Jan 2006

Also see:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?