Graphic card upgrade

william16 22:59 08 Apr 2007

Hi

I changed existing graphics card-GeForce MX440, 64MB-with Inno 3D, FX5200, 256MB card. I followed instructions as per manual, updated driver for graphics controller chipset on the motherboard, un installed current card's driver, swapped cards and installed the new driver-from disc supplied. Re started computer; I am getting the message..
VGA controller failed to install, data is not valid..
I then went to Nividia and downloaded a more up to date driver, still the same message.

In the Add/remove programmes section no nvidia software is listed !!

Tried to play one game, that was OK but with Sims we are now getting the message.. Failed to find any Directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter in this system... However this software was included on the disc and I downloaded it twice !! Still the same message!!

I checked in the device manager, there is no mention of a graphics card/controller but I have a WinFast(R) display driver.

My system spec is
AMD Ahtlon XP 1800+
Hard disk capacity 37GB
Memory capacity 768MB
Operating system Windows XP, Home edition

Thanks

William

Can you please advise on this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:09 08 Apr 2007

Right click an empty space on the desktop, select properties - settings - advanced - adaptor

if it is not showing the correct card then click properties - driver - update driver

point windows to the nvidia 8 .1 driver files on your cdrive where the latest nvidia driver you download should have been extracted to.

william16 23:32 08 Apr 2007

Many thanks for your reponse. I did as advised. When I am in driver-after properties-there is no option to update! Can see the following:
Service Name - VgaSave
Display Name - VGA Display Controller
Status - stopping

Regards
William

william16 21:07 13 Apr 2007

Hi

Did eventually managed to do as you advised but problem persists. I now discovered that I have a "Winfast" brand graphic display card with an nvidia Geforce MX 440 chip. I am going to remove this from the system and try and install the latest drive for the new card.

Hope it will work

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?