graphic card problem

andrew-196854 16:29 18 Feb 2006

i have been trying to help a mate out , his problem is when he is playing a game, any game i may add he can only play it for about 30 mins? then his monitor will switch off and thats it ? ps the graphic card in question is a radeon x550,on a pci express, with a pentium 4 cpu 3.o ghz,1 gb of memory.This is what i have tried so far the latest ati drivers, also restored windows to see if that worked still the same,also tried power options still the same, one last thing the pc is only 4 months old ?

De Marcus™ 16:32 18 Feb 2006

Heat issues?

andrew-196854 16:38 18 Feb 2006

if it is heat issue ? i surely canot help him much as if i open his case, i will invalidate his warranty will i ?

De Marcus™ 16:40 18 Feb 2006

Depends on who the manufacturer is, most support an open case policy, others don't.

De Marcus™ 16:41 18 Feb 2006

You should be able to check in the bios, after the crash, (and providing the bios supports) check the temps straight away in the bios, generally under pc health or similar.

citadel 16:43 18 Feb 2006

a case fan to draw cool air into the case may help. If you want to play games a x800gto would be a lot better as the x550 is not much better than a x300.

andrew-196854 16:50 18 Feb 2006

i know this is a bit of the subject , but when my mate bought the pc from pc world he did say he wanted it to play games on and i was a bit suprised to find a x550 ? as you said citadel a x800 or a 6600 nivida? being a gamer myself, i wish he asked me to go with him when he bought it?and de marcus will check bios for temps , ps what are the temps it should normally run at ?

De Marcus™ 17:00 18 Feb 2006

You'll generally find you can retrieve cpu temp and case temp from the bios, the correct temp range would depend on what cpu is in there. I don't know how to check the graphics chip temp on an ati, perhaps someone else does if the card has a sensor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?