Graphic card kaput

radi8or 08:49 27 Aug 2007

Mornin' all,

Think my old graphic cards, nVidia 5950 Ultra, yes I know it's archaic, is playing up, so need a replacement/upgrade but must be AGP, would prefer to stick to nvidia, but welcome all suggestions, price not a problem, well shouldn't be as AGP.

Many thanks Bob

User-1159794 09:05 27 Aug 2007

Abit of research here to start you off Bob.

radi8or 16:14 27 Aug 2007

Rapscallion,

Sorry for delay had to go out, SWMBO wanted plants
like we haven,t got enough.

Umm, was there supposed to be a clicky in your post.

Bit out of touch in the "bits" department so just needed some advice on whats still available for AGP slot.

Maybe I should build a new machine with the latest bells, "Whats that dear, over your dead body" don't tempt me.

Love her really.

Regards Bob

Devil Fish 16:41 27 Aug 2007

AGP Cards click here

though really you have to look at the age of the machine (you havn't given any specs) and decide if it is really worth while doing

also is their any hope for the existing card you don't say what sort of problems you have been having

maybe a driver update or just a good clean with an air duster may squeeze a little extra out

nvidia drivers click here

radi8or 17:32 27 Aug 2007

Devil Fish,

Thanks for response, machine is about two and half years old, home built and pretty well specced at the time, images on screen sometimes, more often lately, are pixellated and have couloured strips down the screen, I thought it was overheating too so have cleaned it out.

Must admit haven't updated drivers for a few months will give it a try, but my other machine had the same problem just before it gave up the ghost.

Thanks again Bob

Devil Fish 21:54 27 Aug 2007

start grovelling to the better half a new lappy worked on mine LoL

seriously though if you want to upgrade and your around the 2.8 3.0Ghz mark for the price the 7800 could be worth a look it will keep you going for the time being though eventualy you will have to bite the bullet and go for PCI-E especially if you are into gaming

radi8or 19:17 28 Aug 2007

Devil Fish,

The last time I had to grovel cost me a pair of diamond earings. NEVER again :0))

I know i'm going to have to do it eventualy but would have liked it to have been later rather than sooner, not really a gamer got a couple of Tomb Raider and Splinter Cell games i'm still trying to get through.

Will have a look at your suggestion, thanks

Regards Bob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?