graphic card fault!!! i think.

burfitt101 02:46 27 Jan 2009

Hi, i was playing a game on my pc when i knocked it with my knee(not very hard). the screen then when really blurred and pixely i ctl alt del and shut down the game and the screen returned to desktop but the blurry pixelly screen stayed so i shut down pc and then started it back up and the sceen gets to telling me what graphic card i have(the characters are not clear to read on this screen) but pauses on that screen and fails to move past to start the boot up etc... please can someone point me in the direction to solve the problem? the card is a Gainward 6800gt, i cant seem to get anywhere with it and i dont want to buy a new pc,...

Thanks for any help...
James

gazzaho 07:43 27 Jan 2009

Have you checked the cable connections? You say you knocked it with your knee, first I would check to make sure the monitor cable and all others are tightly inserted, after turning the power off of course. If the cables are fine then the graphics card may have become slightly dislodged from the motherboard slot, again power off and with the power plug still in the computer (this will earth you and dissipate any static if you touch a part of the metal framework) remove the cover and remove and re-seat the graphics card.

If this doesn't help then you may have damaged the card and have to replace it.

burfitt101 01:24 29 Jan 2009

cheers i have tried all that and its still the same i bought another nivdia card but it still doesnt work i just get NO SIGNAL as it hasnt picked it up, any other options?

3gboosterman 04:08 29 Jan 2009

In the meantime, have you checked the Power Supply Unit to see if its spinning and working?
Please check your power cable and fuse. You know, the cable that looks like one that you get with a kettle.

Is your motherboard light on?
Have you dislodged any other component?
Check your hard drives to see if they work?

Maybe the knock with your knee has done something to the button that switches your pc on? just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?