Graphic card fail to function

naiveboy 06:22 26 Nov 2012

Hello,

Wednesday, while playing game, CPU fan and casing fan suddenly stop spinning. Then processor temperature raised up and pc auto shut down. After restart, CPU fan and casing fan still not spinning. But after i rotate the CPU fan with finger, it continue to spin again. Then i continue play game, without problem for that day. Casing fan remain not spinning until now.

Thursday, turned on my computer, nothing is display on monitor, but i can hear the music when my pc enter windows. Graphic card fan is spinning. Then i switch to using motherboard built-in graphic and the monitor can display but not every time. Some time even built-in graphic also fail to display when i turned on my computer. Once the built-in graphic successfully display, it can continue to displaying without problem. Graphic card remain fail to display until now. No graphic artifacts was observed before that. What happen to my pc?

Thanks

northumbria61 17:36 26 Nov 2012

I would check ALL your wiring/connections from the PSU to the motherboard as it appears that something relating to that area is loose.

naiveboy 21:11 26 Nov 2012

I have checked the all the power connections from PSU to both motherboard and graphic card, it look good.

northumbria61 13:07 28 Nov 2012

If all your connections look good then there could be several possibilities. Everything points to overheating but firstly you need to find out why the CPU fan is not working as this will be the main cause of your problem. You have already stated that the temperature raised and the PC shutdown - it does that to prevent damage.

You may need to invest in a new CPU cooler/fan or your CPU needs re-seating with new thermal paste. The CPU is the "engine" and it is almost certain that the other problems you are having all stem from this. It could be a failing PSU but unlikely.

Unless you are confident in doing what needs to be done then the only alternative is to have it checked out and rectified by a qualified computer person.

naiveboy 08:01 01 Dec 2012

I have replaced a new PSU, and so far the graphic card and CPU fan are working well. Thank you for the advice, you guys are awesome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?