Graphic card for the Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop?

Daibus 11:11 05 Apr 2006

I'm thinking of buying a Dell Inspiron 6400 which has the Intel Duo Processor and the basic price does seem quite reasonable - about £600 - but was wondering if it's worth the extra upgrading to the ATI Radeon graphic card listed below for the extra 116€ (I´m in Spain). I do not really go in for gaming but would all other applications perform well with the basic Intel 950 graphics onboard? The PC does come with 1024MB of memory installed as standard.

Also are there any opinions yet on this new Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop?

Many thanks.

Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory [Incluido en el precio]

Tarjeta grafica de 128MB ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300, PCI-Express x16 [agregar 116,00 € o 4 €/mes1]

Totally-braindead 11:23 05 Apr 2006

Heres a link for the others so they can see what you're talking about click here I thought initially that you had it wrong as you mentioned a graphics card and laptops, in general do not have graphics cards per se as they are integrated on the board. I now see what you mean, the more expensive laptop is tempting as it appears to have a DVD writer as well as more memory and the different integrated graphics. Wish I could advise but I'm afraid I can't comment on how much better the graphics is but with the extra 512mb RAM and the DVD writer it would definately be better. I'm sure some of the others who have laptops and have seen these graphics options will advise.

vinnyT 11:36 05 Apr 2006

Personally, I would go for the ATI Radeon graphic card, as this is a seperate card it has its own onboard memory, thus it wouldn't be 'borrowing' from the systems base memory, ie if the systems memory is 512mb, the Intel 950 graphics, might 'borrow' 128mb of this for its own use, leaving the system with only 384mb of ram for general use.

Hope this helps.

Daibus 11:50 05 Apr 2006

Thanks guys for your help but the Inspiron 6400 does have 1024MB of memory onboard as standard so do you think vinnyT, this would negate the neccesaty for the ATI Radeon card?

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?