Graphic Card Compatibility

Brezza 23:04 24 Feb 2008

Hi Peeps,

Just a quick question about a graphics card.

I Have the following motherboard - Asus P5N-SLI
Link: click here

And im looking to get a 8800GT (Been advertised everywhere as the best option for an upgrade)

Iv found one i think i would like to get.

The only problem i can see is in the specification for the graphics card it says "PCI-E 2.0 Slot". I Cant see anywhere on my motherboard spec to say it has one, i know i has PCI-E cause im running my 7900GT PCI-E graphics card on it at the moment. I just dont wanna buy a card i wont be able to use, can anyone tell me if its compatible with my motherboard?

Any Help would be great :)

My System Specs (If it helps)

- Asus P5N-SLI Motherbored
- 1 x Western Digital 80Gb 7200RPMS SATA HDD
- 1 x Philips 320Gb External USB 2.0 HDD
- Intel Core 2 Quad E6600 4 x 2.4Ghz
- 4 x 1GB DDRII 6400 800Mhz OCZ Special Ops Edition Ram
- Seasonic 500 Watt PSU
- Acer 19" Widescreen LDC Monitor

mrwoowoo 23:49 24 Feb 2008

That card is no prob with your board which has a PCI Express x16 slot.
The 2.0 is just the newer(faster) pci-e slot which the card is capable of utilizing.

mrwoowoo 23:57 24 Feb 2008

Notice some of the other 8800gt cards say pci-e 2.0 support?
I may have jumped the gun as your card seems to say slot required = pci-e2.0.
Perhaps someone else could clear it up for us.

Brezza 00:31 25 Feb 2008

The PCI-E 2.0 seems to have slipped quietly in here somewhere, i wasnt aware of it untill i started looking for a new card. Bit of a pain cause in only upgraded my Mobo to this one about 6 months ago so i could have a Quad Core. Dont really wanna have to upgrade the board again :(

Brezza 00:36 25 Feb 2008

Just found this online

Q5: Then PCIe 2.0 must be backward compatible with PCIe 1.1 and 1.0?

A5: Yes. The PCIe Base 2.0 specification supports both the 2.5GT/s and 5GT/s signaling technologies. A device designed to the PCIe Base 2.0 specification may support 2.5GT/s, 5GT/s or both. However, a device designed to operate specifically at 5GT/s must also support 2.5GT/s signaling. The PCIe Base specification covers chip-to-chip topologies on the system board. For I/O extensibility across PCIe connectors, the Card Electromechanical (CEM) and ExpressModule™ specifications will also need to be updated, but this work will not impact mechanical compatibility of the slots, cards or modules. Currently, the PCI-SIG is defining the PCIe CEM 2.0 specification which has been released to members for review at v0.5. There are currently no plans to adapt the PCIe Mini CEM specification for the faster bit rate as the market need has not yet materialized.

Does this mean it should be supported?

mrwoowoo 01:14 25 Feb 2008

YES PCIe 2.0 (32x) and 1.1 (16x) are compatible!
But..... there are some people who bought the first batch of 8800GT 512's (PCI-E 2.0 card) that could not get the card to work in their 1.1 boards. The fix was a new BIOS flash and/or a video card firmware update. So while technically they are compatible, your real-world results may vary.
Hmmmm ?
click here
This may be a safer bet.

click here

Brezza 17:59 25 Feb 2008

Thanks for the help mate, think i will get 8800GTX, its newer then the first 8800GT's so it should be a safe bet :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone