Grandkids causing problems

brambles 14:31 13 Nov 2006

My daughter has a basic desktop computer with BT Broadband as ISP. Using supplied BT Broadband modem.

Because both kiddies have has laptop computers they are trying to set up Internet access and have pourchased a new Belkin Wireless Modem.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work - do we disable or remove the original BT Modem?

The Belkin is operating in isolation so I expected they would be able to make an Internet connection without any networking or access? is this correct.

The desktop is connected by an ethernet cable.

If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it - or someone may know of a Belkin helpline no.

Thanks in advance

Brambles

rodriguez 15:15 13 Nov 2006

The wireless modem should plug straight into the phone line in the same way that the BT one does. Some wireless routers have to plug into the existing modem, but most new ones have a modem built in. Basically, do away with the BT modem and use the wireless one in it's place. Connect it to the main PC with an Ethernet or USB cable first to check it's connected to the Internet properly. Then once you get a connection you can set up the wireless connection on both laptops.

brambles 15:58 13 Nov 2006

rodriguez - Many thanks

Strawballs 00:48 14 Nov 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?