Grain in Photo

jim63 16:51 25 Feb 2007

Is there a program that will take the grain out of photos so as to make them a lot clearer. I use Kodak Easyshare but it will not remove grain

[email protected] 17:09 25 Feb 2007

Grain in images is basically caused by under-exposure. I don't think there is a program to eliminate it. The cure is to set your camera to a higher ISO setting or use flash, this will capture more detail and eliminate the grain. You may also get some improvement by printing the picture smaller and "tweaking" the brightness/contrast settings.

woodchip 17:16 25 Feb 2007

Low light or poor optics are the problem along with High Mega Pixels. It can be smoother out but may cost in the pictur being a bit blured

De Marcus™ 17:17 25 Feb 2007

It's not a cure but it may help click here

jack 17:20 25 Feb 2007

'Grain'
Are you referring as in a scanned paper print.
or 'Noise' as in a digital image of low quality?

In either case you will need a fairly comprehensive image editor with a range of tools to carry out any practical work.
If you are looking for free applications
Then Serif give old versions of the various applications away as a come on.
You could also download a trial version of Corel Paint Shop Pro- this is the bees knees the trial is full working as I recall but it is worth getting- Version 11 is the current one and the displaced version 10 can be had for £40 .

[email protected] 17:29 25 Feb 2007

I agree with your first two comments but can you elaborate on High Mega Pixels causing the problem ?

hssutton 17:45 25 Feb 2007

All you need is click here (freeware) noise is extremely easy to get rid of (depending on severity)but you with suffer a slight loss in sharpness.

Just one point about noise, under-exposure causes noise, but the main culprit is an high ISO especially on point & shoot cameras.

woodchip 18:41 25 Feb 2007

High Mega Pixels With low Optics, adds to noise in pictures If you reduce the Resolution you take pictures at it will remove some of the noise or grain. High res also means slower capture time and bigger files all add to the problem like accentuated the light problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?