Up Grading from 98se to XpHome

wicked willy 12:23 18 Nov 2003

hi everybody, Please could you help me ,as my Sonhas gone and bought windows XP Home Edition, and wants to upgrade from 98 SE to Home Edition. Can I just put the CD in the Rom tray and click install and will he lose any of his Programs and Files? Thanks in Advance.

johnnyrocker 12:28 18 Nov 2003

strongly recommend a back up of everything or yes he most likely will.

johnny.

alcudia 12:28 18 Nov 2003

No you should not lose anything, but you need to take care with some programs. You cannot upgrade with certain A/V apps such as Norton installed. There are others as well, including some CD burning such as Roxio Easy CD.

You should review all installed programs and if you think necessary check with the vendors web site. Also consider whether any hardware will need to replaced, modem and printer drivers especially.

I always think it's best to install XP to a clean drive. Makes it much easier. When asked during the install ask to view the compatibilty log. You will no where you stand with your hardware.

mdshamilton 12:28 18 Nov 2003

He should not lose any files or programs if he does an upgrade. But to be safe, make a backup of important files in case anything untoward happens.

alcudia 12:29 18 Nov 2003

"no" = "know"

wicked willy 12:32 18 Nov 2003

Thanks once again for you Help I will trying that later this afternoon Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone