GPU overclock causing graphical errors

Jupescj 00:10 30 May 2017

Hello there!

I've been using an overclocked GPU for about a year and a half now and am suddenly getting graphical errors. Horizontal, pixelated lines have started appearing on my second monitor out of nowhere. These stop when I return the GPU clocks back to default. Now even if I increase the clock speeds by +1MHz they start up again.

My PC specs:

• Processor: Intel i7-4790k 4Ghz
  • GPU: Radeon R9 270X (OC to 1180MHZ core, 1550MHZ mem.) MoBo: ASUS Z97-A

Wireless card: 802.11n Tenda Wireless LAN card RAM: 16gb DDR3 Displays: 1. 22" Acer LCD 60hz 223W 2. Generic 20" Alba 1080p Plasma TV

What I've tried:

• Updating GPU drivers
  • Checking for Windows updates
  • Disabling/Enabling Vsync in global settings
  • Doing a clean install of my graphics drivers
  • Enabling/disabling gpu and monitors in device manager
  • Installing previous gpu drivers
  • Checking VGA BIOS for updates (up to date)

Programs being used:

• MSI afterburner 4.3.0 (I used this guide click here and kept the overclock within the recommended limits)
  • AI suite 3 (I have a feeling this may be stopping the GPU from getting enough power)
  • Sapphire Trixx 6.4.0 (This causes a black screen as soon as any setting is changed)
  • GPU-Z 2.1.0 (Shows correct OC speed on the graphics card tab but the sensors show really low speeds when any OC is applied. GPU alternates between clock state 3 (150MHZ, 450MHZ and default))

I'd be happy to take any screenshots or provide any additional information or tests to help analyse the error. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)