GPU fail - part 2

kalstras 19:21 13 Jun 2010

I was just noticing my Motherboard after buying a GPU that I first thought (and was advised) was faulty.

My Mo-bo supprts PCI-EX1.6
and the card is a PCI-E 2.0

is this possible the problem?

Cheers for putting up with my noobiness

Kal

Ibanez2010 19:38 13 Jun 2010

You mean your mobo has a pci express x16 slot. There's no such thing as 1.6.
And yes a pci express 2.0 card will work fine. So that isn't your problem.

kalstras 21:49 13 Jun 2010

thank you for the answer, mucho appreciado senior :D

Back to the duff card thing then D:

kalstras 13:14 30 Jun 2010

double posting for anyone that has this similar or exact problem....

I bought a PNY GeForce 512MB GDDR3 card and it worked BUT?!

Oh man, I went through it again yesterday didn't I? I thought to myself, if I could make a GeForce card work why settle for the 512 when for 10pounds more I could have a 1GB? I arranged for the Radeon card to be collected, uninstalled the new card, took it back and bought this. ZOTAC GeForce® GTS 250 Eco 1GB
and brought it home, and nothing, no bloody screen so I thought there is one last thing I never tried before. On the back of my comp there is a small black plate that says “Do Not Remove” well removed it and there was a VGA port, A BLOOODY VGA PORT!!!!!
I put my old card back in>fired up my comp> switched to onbard graphics> turned on my comp (mind you I have two monitors) so this would not have been successful without two> so I powered down, installed the new card> powered up> installed the card with the onboard still working>installed the drivers but, Error> “there is a problem.....yadda yadda yadda, VGA not compatible” HMM
SO VGA means the onboard, so I powered down, turn off the onboard graphics and VOILA!!!!!!!!!
I am now a working graphics card owner STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!
If I had done this in the very beginning I would be running DDR5 and DX11 - maybe
so as a Sadist, do I try this system with the Radeon card?!?! NO
I am going to leave it lol if I had the 1GB card here I would so, happy happy joy joy :D

my Zotec card is amazing and after over 9000 forums and help pages, I myself have sorted it out :D

ICF 14:22 30 Jun 2010

This is what I said do in your other thread.You don't need two monitors you would have seen the error with it plugged into the onboard VGA port.
click here

kalstras 22:11 30 Jun 2010

you did yes but not as I read it (idiot proof) I needed my hand held a bit more. But yes in a word, you DID say it :P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?