Gps advice needed

QinesiQ 17:13 05 Mar 2007

I know I have asked something similar in the past but I am still undecided.

I was originally thinking of adding a Bluetooth gps receiver to my IPAQ. I was looking at either the Globalsat or TomTom sirf III and some software/maps.

I have been trying to way-up the best option (I have never owned/experienced Sat Nav before so I cannot rely on past experience wrt accuracy or features).

Should I go for a receiver and software (e.g TomTom Navigator 6 package) or a dedicated unit?

Does anyone have any experience with different software – TomTom, Navman, Mio etc?

I noticed that one has to subscribe to certain features (like traffic updates) with TomTom but not with Navman. How do their respective software packages compare?

Anyone know of a good gps forum for more user views?

Thanks (again)
:-)

Al94 17:20 05 Mar 2007

Good forum on his site click here

eedcam 17:47 05 Mar 2007

or this click here

QinesiQ 17:49 05 Mar 2007

Yes, its a great forum. I should be able to dig up some views.

keef66 10:19 06 Mar 2007

I went for the new version TomTom One. Very quick to pick up satellites, very clear voice instructions, maps not always up to date with bypasses, so it sometimes tells you you're driving across a field, but overall very satisfied. No experience of traffic updates feature.

QinesiQ 12:34 06 Mar 2007

Thank you eedcam for your line also - I’m just having a look now.

Keef66 - thank you for your thoughts. I have (very recently) seen many good things about the TT One and your comments are v reassuring.

Is the TT software and maps the same as the Navigator 6? I am assuming that the TT software/maps should be the same across the range & just the hardware functions differ – please correct me if I am mistaken.

I will keep the thread open a little while longer but so far I am looking at (in no particular order)

TT One
TT Nav 6 BT receiver/software/maps
Globalsat BT359 + TT software/maps

From what I have researched Mitac has bought Navman (or at least the handheld/in car operation). I like Mio’s but compared to the TT I think £ for £ I would stick to the TT and I do not *need* the fancy add-ons (besides which my ipaq can do the fancy stuff if i go the BT route). If I buy a Navman – I would not be sure where I would be placed going forward e.g. free traffic updates today maybe not next year.

woodchip 16:42 06 Mar 2007

I use a Acer n35 pda with built in GPS. Destinator software runs on pocket PC 5. I could do with a External ariel as it slow at first connecting through my windscreen. once connected it's ok

alB 16:47 06 Mar 2007

Another good forum here, click here personally I would recommend the TT1 nothing fancy but does the job ...alB

anchor 12:22 07 Mar 2007

I have had both an Ipaq with a separate TomTom navigator package, and a TomTom Go, (the 700 model).

Personally, I would recommend the "all in one" unit, and without doubt would suggest either the TomTom One regional, (or TomTom One Europe, if you want continental routing).

click here

£161.78, from Amazon for the UK version, (free delivery)

click here

If you want more bells and whistles, then other, more expensive, models are available; but they do the same job.

anchor 12:38 07 Mar 2007

I have yet to read on the forums a good report of the traffic update feature in the UK, on any SatNav.

Some other countries do seem a bit better.

QinesiQ 16:22 09 Mar 2007

Hi anchor

Thank you for your comments re all-in-one vs “separates” I have seen some good deals recently on the One and I may indeed go for that.

May I ask why you preferred the all-in-one solution over your ipaq?

Now and again Amazon tend to do some weird (good weird) price drops so I will keep a close eye on the One.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?