Got a virus - How do I remove it?

funkey_monkey 21:56 17 Nov 2008

Hi,

I've managed to get Virus Trigger on my PC and can't get it removed.

The internet only seems to have pay applications to remove this virus. I would like to get it removed ASAP because it is killing my performance and I don't want it hanging around on the system.

Any ideas as to how I can get it removed and do a full system scan with something good?

I have run AVG, Spybot, and Ad-Aware already. None of these have picked up on the VirusTrigger virus being in the system - which is a bit pathetic IMO.

How also can I improve my security?

MAJ 22:04 17 Nov 2008
  citadel 22:29 17 Nov 2008

for security you need av and firewall plus microsoft updates, all kept up to date and don't click on stuff telling you that you have won some sort of prize etc.

DieSse 22:41 17 Nov 2008

"I have run AVG, Spybot, and Ad-Aware already. None of these have picked up on the VirusTrigger virus being in the system..."

Can you please tell us then, how you have found the virus in your system?

DieSse 22:43 17 Nov 2008

"How also can I improve my security?"

Improve it beyond what? - You haven't told us what security you do have.

You could just install eset security suite, and rest easy that it can't really get much better.

click here

SimFlyer 23:06 17 Nov 2008

I would suggest trying a free application called Super Antispyware, which is good at removing various Malware and other unwanted hoax Programs that cause fake system alerts. The software can only run On-demand with the free edition, Real time protection works only with the paid version. I have been running this software with no problems.

click here

Failing that, you could use Kaspersky 2009 AV or PC tools spyware doctor with Anti-virus, which both have a good track record on removing Malware. You don't have to buy, just run the limited trial, just uninstall AVG first as they will conflict.

funkey_monkey 09:59 21 Nov 2008

I think this is resolved as I can no longer see any virus indication, although my PC is running slow...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?