got new sony laptop but cannot access aol

Zebrapec 15:50 03 Jan 2009

Hi, I can access aol from my desk top but not my new laptop. tried reducing the security on the security options in internet option, but that does not work. Have avg free, but do not know how to turn that off? Running Vista. Any ideas anyone please. Using Google IE, just need AOL for my e-mails.

kindly 15:56 03 Jan 2009

Is it AOL with talktalk or just AOL on its own. You could try this web page click here
and see if you can get them from there.

User-1229748 15:59 03 Jan 2009

or if aol ukclick here

rdave13 16:06 03 Jan 2009

Check your firewall is allowing AOL. With the VR version right click the icon in sys tray and click on 'one-click fixes'. Allow permission on the prompt and also allow permission if you get any popups from your firewall. Select fixes from there.

Zebrapec 17:02 03 Jan 2009

okay, yes, thanks it is the windows firewall,i know i should'nt but i turned it off to try it and aol was accessable, but I cannot have the FW turned off, and I cannot find aol in the exceptions window because it is not a programme on my laptop, so please does any one know how to allow a faverite through IE when windows is blocking it?

rdave13 18:43 03 Jan 2009

I'm using Pctools firewall pro on Vista. Easy to configure. If you decide to use it then remember to disable Vista's own firewll. click here

brundle 19:12 03 Jan 2009

No need to add any firewall exceptions if you're just accessing email using Internet Explorer. When you say "can't access" you mean, IE won't show any pages at all, or just a specific set of pages? IE doesn't understand the URLs that AOL's own browser uses.
Can you access click here ?

Zebrapec 19:40 03 Jan 2009

No i cannot access from that link brundle. It just keeps going in a loop with SCREEN NAME SERVICE at the top of page and loginfailiure at the bottom of the page, after a bit a window opens and it says unavailable try again/later

Zebrapec 19:43 03 Jan 2009

rdave13 having just got the laptop have not yet decided which if any firewall to buy, just using windows own at the moment. It came with Mcafee but had a lot of trouble, so wiped it off.

Zebrapec 19:43 03 Jan 2009

rdave13 having just got the laptop have not yet decided which if any firewall to buy, just using windows own at the moment. It came with Mcafee but had a lot of trouble, so wiped it off.

feb 19:56 03 Jan 2009

are you using the aol software or just trying to open aol in a browser window?

If your using the software are you using aolvr?

can you access your email via aol.co.uk in internet explorer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?