Got my new Toshiba Laptop with Vista--questions..!

hawthorn59 10:03 13 Jan 2008

Hi

If you've been following the long running saga of what laptop to buy etc you might be interested to know Ive finally done it!! Even though I didnt really need it! There are a few points about it though that Id welcome your feedback on; some are laptop related and most probably vista related!

1 It doesnt have a truebrite screen, so the lovely one I was looking at in the shop looks different! I thought it was a vista feature that had it looking so snazzy, but it was the trubrite screen. However while I like the truebite, I also find less glare from this WXGA screen.

As the salesperson is my nephew, he has given me the option of exchanging it when/if newer models with better spec, same price (!), come in soon. Im not sure from a screen point of view how I feel so far..

2 Its slightly bigger than my HP and doesnt sit quite as well on the arm of the armchair!!

3 The remaining points are prob Vista ones. I feel it takes a bit longer to load than XP. Though that could be related to what programmes are loading (see later)

4 In task manager I notice 66 processes. This seems a lot?

5 In the bar at the bottom I have the following;

a Windows Security alert
b Desktop SMS
c Norton Protection
d Toshiba Notification
e Toshiba Online Product Info
f Touchpad
g Windows Sidebar
h Local Area Connection
i Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile
j CD/DVD Drive Acoustic science
k Battery Indicator
l Wireless Networks
m Volume

I dont even know what some of these are for! Do I need b c (no!) d e g h i j ?? And can I just stop them starting up or uninstall them altogether?

On the Desktop I have

Recycle Bin
Desktop SMS
Microsoft Office 60 day trial
My Photobook
Norton Internet Security
Toshiba DVD Player
Toshiba Assistance
Toshiba Services and Options
User Manual A200 (mine)
User Manual P200
MS Works

Is this the "crapware" referred to elsewhere!? What can I get rid of?

I think Norton Interne Security can go.

I can install

Avast, Kerio Firewall, Adaware...what else do I need? I read where Vista security is v good so do I need all these or do i need more!?

Thanks for you patience!

h

skidzy 10:15 13 Jan 2008

First things first;

If you wish to remove Norton...use the removal tool click here

Then have a look through Add and remove programs to see what else is not needed and remove,run ccleaner click here and reboot.

Reducing the startup programs using MSCONFIG
Start and type MSCONFIG and enter,agree to UAC

Under General you can select Selective startup or goto Startup and remove what is not needed.

Just be careful you do not remove the startup for the lappy touchpad.

There are several tweaks for Vista and something we can address later.

brundle 10:18 13 Jan 2008

a Windows Security alert - do your updates, should remove that

b Desktop SMS - I've not removed it from mine, but stopped it starting with Windows

c Norton Protection - dumped that after a week

d Toshiba Notification
e Toshiba Online Product Info - register with Toshiba then prevent these two starting

f Touchpad - required

g Windows Sidebar - optional

h Local Area Connection - not needed all the time

i Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile - don't really need the icon, but I think it's still there on mine (left my lappy at work this weekend)

j CD/DVD Drive Acoustic science - again, disable icon if you can

k Battery Indicator - change power options if you'll be running the lappy on the mains most of the time and remove this icon

l Wireless Networks - as H

m Volume - my 6 month old tosh has a physical volume control, some more recent ones dont

You can use CCleaner (always a good thing to have installed) and use the Tools/Startup screen to disable some of the auto-starting programs. wclick here although it doesn't have an Undo feature.
Otherwise use MSConfig and disable the nag-screen;
click here

Jake_027 12:33 13 Jan 2008

Glad to hear you finally got your laptop! Heres what I'd suggest
In the bar at the bottom I have the following;

a Windows Security alert-as brundle says updating will cure this

b Desktop SMS-I assume this is a toshiba utility? I'd stop it on startup too but keep just incase it's needed

c Norton Protection-as per skidzys advice, remove using removal tool and install something else.

d Toshiba Notification-again I'd stop on startup, doesn't sound completely necessary

e Toshiba Online Product Info-as per d

f Touchpad-keep, but if you go to start>control panel>mouse there should be a tab called device settings where you can stop the tray icon appearing (this won't stop the touchpad working)

g Windows Sidebar-keep if you want to but if not its a simple case of right clicking the icon and selecting "load sidebar at windows startup"

h Local Area Connection-keep for ease

i Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile-If you right click on your desktop there should be a menu item called "graphics options" within this go to tray icon and click disable-all options can still be accessed from control panel

j CD/DVD Drive Acoustic science-I assume this is a program that came bundled, it probably safe to disable this icon

k Battery Indicator
l Wireless Networks
m Volume-All windows icons. If you have a hardware volume switch then you probably don't need volume. All these icons can be changed by right clicking the start bar, going to properties and selecting the notification area tab

Pamy 12:41 13 Jan 2008

You might just as well get rid of the 50 day trial of Microsoft office unless you intend to but it

Pamy 12:42 13 Jan 2008

But it =Buy it

Jake_027 12:45 13 Jan 2008

On the Desktop I have

Recycle Bin

Desktop SMS

Microsoft Office 60 day trial-delete. Unless you are considering buying it, which if you do need a new office suite I would recommend as it is excellent to use. Otherwise, put a copy of msoffice you already have on or openoffice from click here

Norton Internet Security-this should go when you
use the norton removal tool

My Photobook
Toshiba DVD Player
Toshiba Assistance
Toshiba Services and Options
User Manual A200 (mine)-What I'd do with all these is create a start menu folder called Toshiba Utilities or something along the lines of that and put them all in there. That way they aren't taking up needless desktop space but they are still available should you need them. The toshiba DVD player isn't really that necessary as providing you have home premium vista can now play DVD's out of the box in media centre or media player as it has all the necessary codecs installed.

User Manual P200-Delete, if it isn't for your laptop what is the point in having it? Strange way of working at toshiba!

MS Works-If you plan to use it often keep it, otherwise there'll be easily accessible shortcuts in the start menu for when you do need it.

Another thing I'd do is have a look in control panel through the list of installed programs-If theres any you'll never use, or have alternatives to already (such as photo suites, movie makers, etc) then uninstall them. This will increase the amount of disk space available and can free up resources. If you notice disk space disappearing really quickly, I think its something to do with system restore-ask on the vista forum about it. Also a visit to click here might be worthwhile to check you have the latest versions of java/flash player/shockwave. The update checker tool (top right) is also useful for checking up on any other programs)

Hope this helps

aine 16:44 13 Jan 2008

System restore on vista. Uses 15% of disk space, you can limit the disk space allocated to this, as it gets full it will self delete earlier restores. The least amount of available space is 300Mbs.Help and support on your Pc will tell you how to adjust this space.

aine 16:45 13 Jan 2008

System restore on vista. Uses 15% of disk space, you can limit the disk space allocated to this, as it gets full it will self delete earlier restores. The least amount of available space is 300Mbs.Help and support on your Pc will tell you how to adjust this space.

hawthorn59 01:57 14 Jan 2008

Thank you everyone! I will follow your advice.

As regards Microsoft Office, I presume if I was buying it will take me online and take the money and give a code. Is it cheaper this way by any chance? Or roughly how much is it?

Im not sure i need it. I really just want word. And I think theres a cut down version of it in Works, which came with the laptop. I opened a word file, and Office Word automatically opened. I looked a bit complicated but seemed to have very snazzy features. Then I opened the Words Word and certainly it looked fairly minimal. I'll try it for a while and see.

I dont have a previous office, but do have Open Office. TBH I think works word might be enough for me.

Finally, If I get rid of Norton, how much security programmes do I need? On my previous laptop I had

Avast
Adaware
Comodo firewall
Superantispyware
Asquared Free
and SpywareBlaster

Do I need this many? Do they all work with Vista? I was thinking of changing firewall to Kerio, is this ok for Vista?

Many thanks
I'll come back later for the tweaks...!

h

hawthorn59 02:03 14 Jan 2008

Just read where Kerio firewall doesnt work with Vista yet. I find Comodo gives me too many options/warnings and sometimes doesnt remember preferences.

Is the Vista firewall good enough?

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?