Got connected - but who do I connect to?

jack 10:42 09 Oct 2007

Got connected - but who do I connect to?
See click here

Going back into the mists of time I seem to recall that in say -Win98 when setting up an Internet connection for the first time
W Explorer came up with a list of suitable connections to sign up to.
Working on the old Time machine- see above- I do not get this at all- perhaps because of the alleged SupaNet tie up
So who do I dial up to?
And are sites - Google say- open or does one have to be signed up to some ISP to get an in?

AI33 11:00 09 Oct 2007

When you say you are connected I presume you mean that you now have a functional dial up modem?

Or are you connected to the INTERNET?

If you are looking for dial-up providers with software to connect TO the INTERNET. take your pick click here=

Don't go for a contract, yet as your friend may want to go broadband fairly soon. Just pick a pay per minute service.

AI33 11:05 09 Oct 2007

BT yahoo is the cost of a local call, can be as low as 1p a minute and a 3p connection charge. click here One of the draw backs may be that the system is running 98 and not 98se, is that right?

jack 14:18 09 Oct 2007

All Done.
AI33 - it is the intention to go Dial up as already stated elsewhere
It came to me in a flash- whilst having a coffee and away from the screen.

Good old PCA- has loads of eager providers sign up software on the monthly disk.
So pick one and do it.
Did it.
Now Done.
He is/stroke will be another browser of the Inter net

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?