googletoolbarnotifier.exe - opinions please!!

eh? 22:21 02 Jan 2007

Hello all
I was poking around in my start up processes and found 'googletoolbarnotifier.exe'. I was a bit curious as I am having a bit of trub with google at the moment- I keep getting diverted to completely different sites than the one I click on in the google list.I have run all the usual scans and some more, but nothing seems to sort it. Hijack This doesnt look like its harbouring anything ( but I'm definitely not an expert on that!) So I did some searching for this googletoolbarnotifier.exe, and came across a very interesting blog, and the upshot of it is that most people were saying how awful the new google toolbar was, and that it updates itself without permission, and also that it installs the exe file without your express permission, and so on and so on.Some were saying it could be classed as spyware...Is it something worth having or not? Any opinions would be fab.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:33 02 Jan 2007

Personally it does not bother me. It auto-updates Google and as this is the only search engine that I use this is fine. The conspiracy theorists will have their usual field day but if you take a step back do you really think that Google would jeopardise their position? A triple Meh! here. For the inhumanly paranoid it can be removed click here

G

eh? 22:44 02 Jan 2007

Thanks for that GANDALF <|:-)>
I must say i only ever use google and find the toolbar very helpful, but it was that very link that you gave which contains all the stuff that set me thinking hmmmm.....what to do what to do....but if you say it's fine then it's fine by me!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?