Google UK

highside 16:45 28 Feb 2011

Having a bad week need more help please.
This problem came in with a free program called calibre.
I have removed calibre & - run system restore - CC- sfc/scannow to no effect on problem -

"A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for IE. IE has reset this setting to ypur original search provider google.com"

I have Win 7 32 bit IE 8 and provider I want is default google.co.UK

google.co.UK seems to work OK but above message crops up before I can use it, also google.co.UK appears in the Int Opt menu as the default as it should.

Thanks for looking.

northumbria61 21:31 28 Feb 2011

Try this -

In Internet Options - if not already, make sure Google.co.uk is your Home Page - ie. Int.Options - General Tab - Home Page - click here - then under Gen.Tab again - Search (change search defaults) click Settings - make sure tick in "Perevnt programs from suggesting changes to my default search provider"

highside 09:41 01 Mar 2011

Thanks for reply, settings are are OK its more a case of (like thousands of others) a stupid microsoft message that means next to nothing. I can use google UK OK just that the message pops up everytime. Seeems many other people have the problem, one web answer is to add a registry entry but it doesnt apply to my registry.

Could PC advisor compile a list of stupid messages. To start 'Windows is looking for a solution" (It never finds one!) Or how about "Windows cant close the program because THE other program is using it" What is THE other program? apart from the fact there are no others running?
Sorry i digress, but why do we buy a PC & windows and have to canstantly be an expert progammer to keep fixing it. If you buy a new car they dont tell you to buy some spanners and fix it when it fails to start.

northumbria61 20:44 01 Mar 2011

Computers are only "clever" up to a point - but when they go wrong the human has to step in to put it right - and I certainly agree with you about the "stupid messages" No doubt they are not going to go away!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?