Google Street View and Overhead View

AlanHo 00:38 18 Mar 2010

What is the easiest way of returning to the overhead satellite view in Google Earth when exiting street view.

After looking at street view in a road, I click on the "Exit Photo" button at the top right of the window. The overhead view re-appears but it is tilted, zoomed right in and the north indicator is not at the top.

To get back to where I was, I have to use the navigation buttons to zoom out, remove the tilt to achieve a vertical view and rotate the image to get north correctly orientated.

Surely there is a shortcut.......?

Seth Haniel 08:21 18 Mar 2010

zooms back out (or in depending on which way you scroll)

AlanHo 08:51 18 Mar 2010

The mouse wheel will zoom out - but it still leaves the map view tilted and North misaligned.

dogtrack 15:54 18 Mar 2010

If you click and hold on the downward pointing arrow attached to the compass rose, after zooming back, the angle of view will return to the default.

If the rose isn't visible you will need to turn it on :- VIEW/SHOW NAVIGATION/AUTO or ALWAYS; whatever takes your fancy. AUTO should be the default, unless it has been inadvertently turned off.

You will then have to click and drag the N on the rose to the top position to regain your correct orientation.

Peter 16:00 18 Mar 2010

You could try using the Backspace key to go back a stage at a time for each press of the Backspace key. Alternatively you can use the Left Alt + Left Arrow key combination in place of the Backspace key.

Another method of getting back to earlier viewed web pages is to use the drop down list on the navigation buttons. If you click the small down arrow just to the right of the navigation left/right buttons a list of previously visited pages will be displayed for you to choose one. If the list doesn't go back far enough pick the bottom one and then try again.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?