Google and sneaky inserts

Caithness Teuchter 14:21 20 Dec 2014

I was interested in this month's magazine re sneaky installs with Avast anti virus. My problem in in a similar vein;

I have stopped using Google Chrome as I am bombarded with requests for Windows Checks; Driver checks; virus checks; toolbars etc mostly purporting to come from Microsoft or other completely safe source. Further they do not go away easily and finally I have resorted to using IE.

Is there a way to stop these "ads" popping up all the time?

Your advice to installation was superb advice for me as I did not believe I had the "expertise" to "custom" install. I would suggest that we ordinary users are in the majority, so thank you.

Peter

spuds 14:39 20 Dec 2014

"Is there a way to stop these "ads" popping up all the time?"

If you install an 'ad-blocker' on the browser's you use, including Google Chrome, then that should solve your problem.

You can get 'ad-blockers' for your particular browser from the internet or add-on within the browser you usually use. 'Adblock' or 'Adblock Plus' will usually do the trick. Make sure that you download and install from a reputable website, like the original website.

alanrwood 10:53 21 Dec 2014

You can install them from the Google Store FOC. There is even an Ad-Block specifically for Chrome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?