google showing previous websites

floydfan63 23:06 26 Feb 2008

How do I stop the google search bar bringing up anything I looked up before,when I start typing a new search?I don't always want my viewing history popping up on my screen when I am showing my kids something on my laptop.I am using vista premium operating system on my Dell laptop..not sure if that is relevent.Doesn't happen on xp on my home pc.

birdface 10:15 27 Feb 2008

You could try if on IE7.Tools Internet options.Press settings button next to delete. Dot the never button.And below set to Zero days.Not sure if that works or not,Just set mine to try it but have to go out.Will try later.

birdface 10:17 27 Feb 2008

No.That only works on the address bar.sorry.

dagbladet 10:57 27 Feb 2008

If it is an embedded google search bar within your browser, right click in the empty bar and select 'clear search history'. If it's the search bar on the main Google page, left click inside the EMPTY search bar, wait for the list of previous searches to appear, hold down the 'ctrl' key, hold down the 'delete' key until the list has emptied. If it is a huge list, you might find the curser slips off and there are still items inside the search bar, to check just left click in the empty search bar and repeat the process until there is nothing left.

Sounds complicated, but takes much less time to actually do than it took to write this.

dagbladet 10:59 27 Feb 2008

I should add, after you have left clicked inside the bar, place the cursor on the first entry, THEN hold down 'ctrl' and 'delete'.

Sea Urchin 23:19 27 Feb 2008

If you are using Google Toolbar then to stop the history being recorded at all click on Toolbar Options > Search Tab > Untick Drop-Down Search History > Apply > OK

Guardianangel 10:33 01 Mar 2008

If it is on the Google Toolbar, just click on the little down-arrow at the right-hand side of the search box and then, at the bottom of the drop-down list of entries, click on clear history.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?