google searches not responding

galacticz00 15:05 27 Feb 2012

Hi I hope someone will be able to suggest a fix for this problem. Something seems to be blocking access to google so I am unable to carry out searches using google and if I click on any website hyperlinks that give access via google these don’t work either – I just get a time out message. This is google.com if I search via google.co.uk there’s no problem and yahoo is OK too. This problem is on my desktop PC I have a laptop which connects wirelessly and that is fine. My PC runs XP prof, webroot secure anywhere v8.0.1.95. I have made sure all windows updates are installed and have run a scan with webroot, spybot, malwarebytes antimalware and CC cleaner. I have also looked in webroot to see if that is blocking google.com but it doesn’t appear to be. The problem is common to all browsers firefox, IE, opera and chrome. Any ideas?

ICF 15:20 27 Feb 2012

Uninstall webroot and see if it cures it.

birdface 15:27 27 Feb 2012

Switch the tea timer of on Spybot and see if that makes any difference.Or switch your Firewall off and see if that helps.

galacticz00 16:26 27 Feb 2012

I have tried turning the firewall off and this makes no difference. I have also uninstalled spybot and no difference either.

galacticz00 17:33 27 Feb 2012

I have just done a system restore - no difference. I have also re installed firefox - no difference. And I have just discovered that although I can open google earth it won't let my do a place search I don't know if this is related or something different....

birdface 17:49 27 Feb 2012

Well you have turned all the rest off maybe time to do the same with Webroot.

If not working in all Browsers it has to be Firewall or security programs I would think.

birdface 22:38 27 Feb 2012

You could delete Google as long as you have another search engine to take its place.

Reboot then install Google again and see if that works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?