Google search not directing to found sites.

Nicholas 12:24 15 May 2010

I have been using Google Chrome as mi Internet browser as I found it faster to use than Internet Explorer. However, in the last couple of weeks I have found that when I use Google Search and get up the list of found sites then I click on a particular link, it then goes off to a completely different site. It's very frustrating and time consuming. I have now gone back to IE and use Norton Safe Search as it doesn't seem to do this. It would seem to be a problem with Google Search. What can be the problem?

rawprawn 13:06 15 May 2010

First go to internet explorer
tools->internet options->programs
and there there is a button called make default.
If that doesn't solve it try this.

1. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html
3. On the File menu, click Export.
4. In the Export Registry File dialog box, enter HKCU_Classes_HTML_Backup.reg and click Save.

Note: This will create a backup of this registry key in the My Documents folder by default.

5. Right click the (Default) value for the .html key and select Modify...
6. Change the value from "ChromeHTML" to "htmlfile"

Repeat steps 1-6 for .htm and .shtml keys if they exist, remember to change the name of your backup file for each export

Nicholas 16:35 15 May 2010

Can you just confirm what this actually achieves as I'm not sure you understood the problem.
Cheers.

rawprawn 16:45 15 May 2010

I believe it is a problem with registry leftovers from Chrome which solved a similar problem I had with Outlook not being able to use links, but if you don't feel that it's worth a try so be it.
Just make sure you backup the registry first so that you can get back to square one if it doesn't work.

Nicholas 17:51 15 May 2010

OK, thanks. I'm just a bit cautious when I'm doing things with the registry. I'll give it a try when I get a minute.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017