google rank

123joey123 15:18 12 Jun 2008

I am trying to upgrade my google rank for my site
click here

If I go into search or roger hobcraft ( the photographer) it says, wedding-photography html

I am not sure why html appears and if it is holding back a better ranking

Thanks

Kemistri 15:52 12 Jun 2008

Optimising websites for ranking is (as long as you do not expect the impossible) quite simple. A few tips, starting with the answer to your problem:

The "title" meta tag needs to be descriptive, helpful to human readers, not too long or too short, and contain a few sensible keywords. For some odd reason known only to you, that particular page has been titled "Wedding Photography.html". This is what appears in a browser's title bar (the blue bit).

The file name is subject to some of the same points: its content should of course be much more pithy, but should be relevant and make sense. It appears in green in Google's results and keywords within it are highlighted. They count.

Don't stress about the old "keywords" meta tag; it is no longer relied upon and is not even worth having. Google takes note of the "description" meta tag instead and its content is important. It provides the text that appears in results, so if it's not there, Google will fish from the page content with sometimes mixed results.

Use clean markup that validates and use a logical site structure. Fix dead links. If humans can navigate it easily, so can search engines.

Submit an XML site map to search engines if you have more than a handful of pages. The XML file belongs in the server's root.

Links. Get inbound links from quality, relevant, highly ranked sites.

Keywords in the copy. Write for humans first and foremost, but be sure to carefully work in appropriate keywords that are actually relevant to your visitors. Don't shoe horn them in to the point of ruining good copy and don't cram.

More besides, but that's what springs to mind right now.

Kemistri 22:59 12 Jun 2008

fourm member's suggested title is missing one or two keywords that your visitors are likely to search by, so something like "Wedding photography in Kent | by Roger Hobcraft" would help. Location is one of the big three key points (who, what, where).

One that I omitted earlier: don't forget your alt text and image title fields. They are not just for accessibility, but well judged alt text and title fields provide another source of keywords and a means to spread them around better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?