google rank

123joey123 14:50 09 Apr 2008

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to get a Google ranking on my website
click here
I know I need more links but associated sites seem reluctant to exchange.

SimpleSimon1 09:34 10 Apr 2008

Although the ranking algorithm is a big secret, a bit of reading around will tell you that the number 1 item appears to be content. Furthermore, most people seem to suggest that three of the most important content items are the page title, the header title and the first couple of paragraphs of text, all of which should be 'keyword-heavy'.

As far as this last point goes, sit down and try and work out what are the main keywords (probably no more than 5-10 or so) that people would use to search for your site (don't forget to include a couple of location keywords). Then try and ensure the page title, the header title (i.e. the <h1> tag) and the first couple of paras use these keywords as much as possible. The trick is to get them keyword-heavy and still make them interesting/clear to read :-)

Combine this approach with, if possible, some high-relevancy links (photo labs, local photo equipment suppliers etc come to mind in your case) & hopefully, you'll end up with a decent Google ranking.

Good luck

123joey123 14:25 27 Apr 2008

Thanks Marg7. I did that.
gell

anchor 14:34 30 Apr 2008

I think SimpleSimon1 has hit the nail on the head.

My photo site is now at number two, (after the sponsor), on Google; I had done exactly what he suggests.

123joey123 14:25 01 May 2008

Thanks. With regard to mete tags I don't htink Google use them but,nevertheless I tried to inmsert some bit I don't seem to be able to do.it
If anyone else uses WebPlus--I right clicked on the text,clicked text format and then HTML tag.
I get a list of of H1,H2 etc but don't see how to insert Meta Tags. I take the point about the Home page and will changeit.
Thanks all for interest. It's an intriguing subject. Going through other WEdding Photography sites, many have no google rating but the odd one has a high rating and I can't tell why
Gell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?