Google links giving me a virus?

PC_HelpMe 10:49 12 Dec 2009

Hi everyone,

I seem to be experiencing a problem whenever I click on a link from Google - in that the window turns into an alleged "Windows Security - Mozilla Firefox" page which then has 3 supposed pop up windows on it - but I can only click on the third window which tries to then install something on my computer - and I just don't trust that it is genuine.

The first window that comes up claims it is my "Control panel > System and security > Action center" and then the window on top of that claims it is "Scan results" which show 3 types of worm and spyware and then the third window which is the one that will allow me to click on it is titled "The page at software-online-scaner.biz" which I don't trust as being genuine says that my "computer remains infected by viruses that can cause data loss and file damages and need to be cured as soon as possible. Return to System Security and download it secure to your PC". It gives me an ok and cancel button which if I click ok it comes up with something to download to my computer - which I don't want to install - but if I click on cancel it doesn't do anything. Nor can I close down the whole window down which again leads me to believe it is a hoax.

How can I prevent this entire thing from coming up at all as it only seems to appear when I click on something from Google???

I have the Malwarebytes software on my computer already which always tells me there are no malwares on my computer (which again makes me think this is a hoax) and even by Bullguard scan comes back with nothing.

hiwatt 10:55 12 Dec 2009

Hi.Download a fresh copy of malwarebytes click here and update it then do a full scan. Also download superantispyware,click here update it and do a complete scan in safe mode(by restarting your computer and tapping f8 while booting up.

User-1229748 10:59 12 Dec 2009

never click on any links that are on a fake scan,next time just hit the restart button on your pc and you should get away with it most times.unfortunately because you did click on one of the links your pc is almost certainly infected.try superantispyware click here

User-1229748 11:00 12 Dec 2009

oops too slow again :o)

User-1229748 11:03 12 Dec 2009

when you get a clean pc again you could download spywareblaster.free and won't slow your pc down at all click here

PC_HelpMe 11:14 12 Dec 2009

Oops sorry - forgot to say I already have spywareblaster too. I will do all that you have suggested (including the malwarebytes full scan, rather than just the quick one) and let you know if it works. Thanks folks.

p;3 13:21 12 Dec 2009

You say you have Bullguard

click here

Is your version current ? Do you have active computer protection?

PC_HelpMe 17:26 12 Dec 2009

Yes our Bullguard is up to date.

PC_HelpMe 19:18 02 Jan 2010

Thought I would let you know that I still seem to be getting this weird "Windows Security" page popping up when I click on 8 out of 10 Google results. I am still using the anti spyware programs etc that you have suggested but I just seem to get this problem when I click on certain Google results. Weird.

birdface 19:35 02 Jan 2010

Try running this one.

click here

its a pay for program but you get a 30 day trial and it will remove anything it finds.
if it asks for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?