GOOGLE front page playing up

Furkin 17:37 09 Apr 2017

Hiya folks,

I’m still getting an anomaly with my Google front page.

I have Google on my start ribbon, but as soon as I click it, I get two Googles on the ribbon, but only one starts up.

Sometimes it starts with a Normal front page, with that days google logo,,,,

but sometimes it loads with an Abnormal google front page. It has a similar page field where we write in our search (along with previous items), but as soon as I start writing, the field goes to the top left of the screen,,,, like the normal search bar.

Apart from being annoying, it must be causing me some time / memory etc

Any ideas please ?

Image 1 : Normal:- click here 1 : Abnormal:- click here 1a : Abnormal with writing field shifted:- click here

Image Image

rdave13 20:56 09 Apr 2017

I'm assuming that you're using Chrome and it's pinned to task manager. That's just a short-cut icon. When you single click it then another Chrome icon appears and is the 'live' one. Hovering the mouse pointer over that one will show a small window of the opened browser. I noticed in one of your images that you have SearchLock as an extension. If you don't want it then go to Chrome's extensions, then delete it.

Have a look at the search results here .

Secret-Squirrel 09:00 10 Apr 2017

............. it loads with an Abnormal google front page.

There's nothing "abnormal" about that page. It's Chrome's standard "New Tab" page. If you don't like it then you can always click the "Home" button top-left to get to your other Google.

It's worth going into Chrome's settings and checking that multiple pages haven't been enabled in the "On start up" section.

And like Dave mentioned, go into Chrome's "Extensions" section and remove (or disable) any third-party ones that you don't need nor recognise. Rogue extensions can frequently cause weird behavior in web browsers.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Furkin 10:19 11 Apr 2017

Apart from getting the two icons, I do seem to be getting - what I call - the proper home page.

Thanks again guys.

I'm going to start another popst, asking opinions of upgrading my machine;

Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : Chrome : Win 10 pro (64) + Avast : Malwarebytes : Spybot

fileorgin 13:10 16 Apr 2017

It's fine, maybe a temporary bug. Like TUTUApp had quite same glitch in it's iOS app however with the recent update they fixed those bugs so wait for a while.

Secret-Squirrel 13:33 16 Apr 2017

Furkin, ignore the post by fileorigin because he's been using these forums as a vehicle to promote his crappy website.

Furkin 11:11 17 Apr 2017

Thanks S.S.

Nice to know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires